Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to mod_aolserver: make a wish

Collapse
Posted by Steve Peterson on

Just wanted to add a little more info to the mod_aolserver/mod_cgi bug.  Os Tyler asked me to run a test to see if the same error occurred on my system.  It does.  I'm probably using a completely different cgi script that Os.

What I want to add is that it doesn't matter whether I'm running the CGI under the virtual host that has mod_aolserver configured or another virtual host that does not.  The result is the same.  Note that I dont have mod_aolserver configured under the main server in the apache.conf file.  See related thread https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0001RP&topic_id=11&topic=OpenACS

Even though this is just as much an issue about how Apache 1.3.x doesn't isolate module interaction in virtual hosts as it is a mod_aolserver issue, at this point I'm going to have to abandon mod_aolserver.  I'd  recommend that until mod_nsd is ready that anyone who needs to run mod_cgi in the same instance of Apache as OpenACS, that instead they run AolServer/OpenNSD on another port and have Apache redirect via mod_rewrite, or some other redirect technique.  That seems to be the only way to get any reasonable level of support for OpenACS on these forums since the majority run AolServer.  It amazes me that most in this group cling to a web server despite the fact that Apache runs over 60% of the Web(re: www.netcraft.com).  It also appears that the mothership (ARSDigita) has also changed their choice of web server with their Java rewrite initiative.  Grumble, grumble.

At least the bug fixes in OpenACS 3.2.5 give me a good reason to change my web server config and upgrade from 3.2.4.