Forum .LRN Q&A: Forums Portlet not visible on user's portals

Hi,
I am running dotLRN 2.0.3 / postgres.
Forums Portlet is displayed correctly only on the Admin user portal.
All other users have this portlet (they can see it only from Customize Layout, they can move it from one page to another), but the portlet is not displayed on their user's portals.

The same thing happens with Survey portlet - users can see Surveys on the group/communities portals they are members of, but unanswered surveys are not displayed on their user's portals.

Is it normal?

What can be wrong - any ideas how to fix this?

Volin Karagiozov, American University in Bulgaria

Collapse
Posted by Volin Karagiozov on
I have just seen that there was a discussion about this problem: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=177016
but discussion stopped with no result.
Does anyone know what's happend with this? Regards, Volin karagiozov
Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hi Volin, in the thread you point to, I asked Nima if the users were marked as Guests.  Can you check for the same on your system?
Collapse
Hi Andrew,
All my student users are not guests.
Volin
Collapse
They are not guest and they can read and post to the forums from group/community portal.

The same is with Survey portlet. They can access survey portlet from within group/community portal.

But both Forums and Survey Portlets are hidden (not displayed) on My Space (user's portals).

Volin

Collapse
It sounds like the privacy check is returning an unexpected result.

There are two ways you could check this.

a) In /admin/site-map, click ACS Kernel under Services, locate the PrivacyControlEnabledP parameter and set it to zero.

b) In /packages/forums-portlet/www/forums-portlet.tcl, comment out this line

set can_read_private_data_p [acs_privacy::user_can_read_private_data_p -object_id [ad_conn package_id]]

and temporarily replace it with this one

set can_read_private_data_p 1

Do either of these make the forum portlet show up?

Thanks,
Andrew

Collapse
Thank you Andrew!

PrivacyControlEnabledP was set to 1

Now both portlets Forums and Survey are visible on student's portal.

Thanks again,
Volin

Collapse
Well, that confirms that the privacy check is the culprit.  If your group doesn't need to restrict users' names from Guests seeing them, you should be all set.  But it does mean there's a bug in the privacy checking somewhere.
Collapse
Posted by Michele Slocovich on
if for any reason this can help adding information to this discussione I have to say i managed to make the forums portlet disappear from within a class in such a way that whatever user i log in to and whatever the class portal is configured, i can't see the portlet.

This happened by doing something i can't recall, but for sure within one click from the class page.

tough it seems it can't be easily undone....

Collapse
sorry sorry sorry I must reply to myself

as i told the reason was within one click from the class page

seems that SHADING the forums would make them forever invisible

can anyone confirm that behaviour ? or is that some graphic special customization we have unpurposely got into ?

to revert the problem i called (from within browser)

class/configure-element?element_id=2368&op=shade

where 2368 is the forums element number i got from the portal layout customization page

seems this shading property of forums is persistent across removal and readdition of the portlet in the class

can anyone confirm ?

Collapse
see if bug #2143 i just submitted could apply

ciao
michele