Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN Active Projects and Release Philosophy

We are now going to keep the .LRN Projects page up to date. In order to ensure quality, it's our release philosophy that a module or project will only be included in a release if an institution or organization commits to running it in their production evironment and takes responsibility for bringing it to release status.

MIT Sloan is currently working on and : Login Page UI, WebDAV, HTML Editor, Forums UI, and Complex Survey.

If you wish to coordinate a project or if your institution is committed to bringing a module or project to production quality, please contact Tracy Adams (.LRN Release Manager) so that we can update the .LRN Projects page.

That's great Al,
at Galileo we are using heavily Evaluation (grade-book) and will contribute it in oracle. The same for LORS (we'll start heavily deployment with it in january, expected about 5,000 possible users).

We are also interested in complex survey, do you have it i18n? (of course, later we'll move to assessment).

Can someone explain what are your plans on login page UI?

cool!

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
OK. The Active Projects page has been updated to show GradeBook and LORS as owned by Galileo.
Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Rocael,

Thanks a lot for giving LORS institutional support. I'm really pleased that you and the e-lane fellows are taking it to the next level. Additionally, Senior Lecture Dr Calvo 😉 has committed to continue the development of LORS. In version LORS 0.5d, hopefully we will be able to include an full online LOM editor developed by a student of his (Gerard Low).

Additionally, development for other projects like Concord et al, will also help further develop LORS.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernie, can we say lors 0.5d will be i18n? (Gerardo will start on that soon) and then next version with new stuff ...
Collapse
Rocael,

If Gerardo can give us an estimated time on the i18 of LORS, we can see in which release we can accommodate for it.

Gerardo, what do you think?

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Al
Could you add dotTEACH and eFolio as two new projects, both maintained by the Web Engineering Group, University of Sydney?
Also, the HTML for the description for LORS is messed up.

Roc, Ernie
Now that Ernie submitted and got a job somewhere else, there is no one working fulltime on LORS. I am happy for e-lane to maintain the package, or we can do it jointly

Rafael

Rafa, can you add dotTeach & eFolio to cvs.openacs.org?

Yes, we can do the maintain of LORS jointly, though is a shame Ernie cannot keep doing development on it.

Collapse
Rafa, Roc

The fact that I work elsewhere or do other stuff does not limit me to keep maintaining the packages. As a matter of fact, there's a road map for features to be implemented in future versions of LORS. Most of them, I'll be heavily involved as part of the work for Concord/PBS. So I do see myself as the package maintainer.

The reasons that Galileo has taken the project is because are heavily using it for e-lane. And of course, I'm really greatful of them to do so, since now the .LRN philosophy obliges packages to be maintain by institutions.

By no means, I want to be a dictator for this package, that's -of course- ridiculous, but I'll be heavily involved in the future of this package.

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
We should distinguish between institutions/individuals that will take the lead in implementing a particular package or module and those who are interested in maintaining. It's wonderful that Ernie wants to continue to maintain LORS.

We (MIT Sloan) will be taking the lead in implementing WebDAV but hope that others will help with maintaining.

I just added the alias dotlrn-extras, which downloads:
evaluation evaluation-portlet dotlrn-evaluation assessment assessment-portlet dotlrn-assessment views lors lorsm lorsm-portlet dotlrn-lorsm wp-slim wps-portlet dotlrn-wps photo-album photo-album-porlet dotlrn-photo-album random-photo-portlet

Most of those package are beign developed on HEAD, so better to download from HEAD.

You need to do something like:
cvs checkout dotlrn-extras

If someone else wants to add something else to the dotlrn-extras alias let me know.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Can we add a whishlist cum pledge system like Codeweavers has it (e.g. for Lotus Notes: http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=158).

I know it is nothing that comes out of the box, but it would be very high on my wishlist for a development by the consortium, to enhance the number of people who can voice their interest in functionality and the numbers of contributors (that not necessarily want to put money into the consortium, e.g. because of lack for the funds for the minimum fee, but still have some bucks to spare). Maybe a nice project for some students ?

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
That's a great idea Malte. At least it would make the development process more transparent. But no idea if this is wanted for large development projects.
Is this not possible on bug-tracker? if you put as "enhancement"?