Forum OpenACS Q&A: IRC integration?

Collapse
Posted by Adam Farkas on
I finally visited the #openacs IRC channel (irc.openprojects.net -- windows users, try the mIRC client http://www.mirc.com). It is fairly entertaining, and I suppose could be useful when more heavily trafficked.

I understand that aaron is logging the discussions that occur in the channel; does anyone else think it would be useful to have a forum on openacs.org that posts a log of the IRC discussion on a daily basis?

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to get at old IRC transcripts & have a way to search 'em.

just a thought; Real-time collaboration has always been a weakness with ACS; this could be fast fix.

Collapse
Posted by Pascal Scheffers on
Yes, I think the logs should be stored and searchable. If the discussion is really interesting, it might even be a good idea to post a transscript on the boards. What we need first, though is a link somewhere on the mainsite directing people to IRC. With only the bboard posting directing you to IRC it'll take a while before people join.

It would be neat to integrate openacs-chat with IRC.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Does Jabber currently support IRC?
Collapse
Posted by Li-fan Chen on
Jabber has a gateway for IRC. IRC would not be a quick fix to ACS.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Clearly, Jabber wouldn't be as quick a fix as simply posting the
IRC logs, but since some folks are talking about doing the
integration anyway,[1] it might be a convenient tie-in.

[1]https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00010c

Collapse
Posted by Louis Zirkel on
I have been doing some experimenting recently using an eggdrop bot (which has Tcl embedded in it) and have found that using eggdrop, writing some custom Tcl code, and incorporating Michael Cleverly's nstcl code I can log my IRC channels to a PostgreSQL database using standard ns_db calls. I don't have tons of traffic, but I believe that it would be able to keep up with most amounts of traffic that we'd be talking about and once the data is stored in the PostgreSQL database it should be a cake walk for anyone here to write some basic interface code to allow reviewing the logs. I'd be willing to help out with this if anyone is interested.