Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to The future of mod_nsd and other web server support

Sorry Talli, I didn't realise you were so delicate. I did however point out 3 or 4 of the many problems with this solution, apparently you don't see them as significant.

I am still interested to here what this buys you. What is the problem you are trying to solve? The unwritten assumption here is 'get rid of AOLserver', which is fine as far as I'm concerned, but that is not what you are doing. You are just ADDING another layer of complexity.

As far as implementation is concerned, it is not as easy as the existing nsvhr module. AOLserver supports socket drivers; nssock, nsssl, nsunix, but it does not support protocol drivers. You could write a socket driver which reconstructs the http request from the FastCGI stream and lets AOLserver parse it as normal, but it sounds a bit silly to me. In fact, it sounds like your writing a proxy server. It's been done.

Running two webserver is pointless unless you need the features of both at the same time, in which case run two webservers. If you can't afford a second IP address, run squid, mod_proxy or nsvhr, all of which are available right now and require no coding.