Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to webmail thoughts

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on

Yon, I'll try to answer your questions, although since I don't use the service heavily, my answers are going to be a bit tentative.<.p>

do they have filters aka. virtual folders, i.e. ability to move messages to different folders based on some criteria e.g., where does it come from, who sent it etc. Hotmail has very limited capabilities. POP3Now's webpage doesn't mention that.

Nope. It's pretty bare-bones. I wouldn't use it as my primary email interface; I just use it to get access to my email when I'm someplace where can't dial in to my SMTP server.

can you turn off this big header at the top which shows in their screenshot (i.e., stock quotes and headlines)?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can toggle that in the preferences page.

can you maintain "multiple personalities" i.e., setup different accounts, e.g., one personal, one for customer service of your company etc.

If you pay for their higher-level service, you can pull emails from multiple POP3 accounts. Email from each account is displayed separately from the other accounts. You can choose to email out through any of your POP3 accounts. I'm not sure about .sigs and the like.

they assure "no ads" but have "advertise with us" program?

Whether or not you see ads depends on the level of service that you pay for. The lowest level (which costs a couple of bucks a year for access to one POP3 account, last time a checked) displays ads.

in general, how does it work. Is their server fast, any things that drive you crazy etc.? Is it designed to handle a lot of e-mails (e.g., for someone who subscribes to 10 mailing lists).

As I said, I don't use it heavily, so YMMV. I don't think it would work terribly well for somebody who gets massive volumes of email every day because it doesn't really let you sort that email. On the other hand, it just looks into your server to see what you have on it at the moment, so if you go in with your regular mail client and clean out the server on a regular basis, you might be OK. The interface is fine, if bare-bones. Server can be a little slow at times, but not terrible.

Hope this helps.