Forum OpenACS Q&A: Newt, enhanced New Tracker, is now available

Despite the profusion of open source bug tracking systems, I could never find one fully satisfactory for the development environments I've worked in. To remedy that, I decided to enhance New Ticket. I've added ticket history graphing, keyword and phrase search, documentation, and priorities (optional); I've also fixed several bugs.

You can see the result, Newt, in action at www.alofa.com. For more details on the improvements, see the release notes. If you'd like to use Newt, download it to an empty directory, extract with "tar xzvf *", and run newt-install. (You may want to first read more detailed installation instructions.)

I'm interested in feedback on Newt, especially advice on what to do with it next. Porting to OpenACS 4 might make sense, but I haven't yet investigated what that would involve. I see Ticket Tracker and Ticket Tracker Lite are already in OpenACS 4 (thanks, Vinod) -- any thoughts on the pros and cons of adding refinements to Ticket Tracker or Ticket Tracker Lite vs. porting New Ticket / Newt?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
AFAIK no one has taken the time to sit down and compare new ticket with any of the 4x ticket trackers.  One of the latter uses the 4x workflow package, which sounds like the right thing to do.

Your enhancements sound interesting, in particular the ticket history graphing and prioritization.  Searching isn't quite as interesting to me in the 4.x context because the solution there is to tie into the upcoming Full Text Search mechanism which is looking very, very promising.

If you're interested in porting new ticket with your enhancements to 4.x, I think you'll find interest here, too.  Here's a suggested sketch of the process, just off the top of my head, wearing my OpenACS 4.x project leader hat:

1. Do a feature comparison with the existing 4.x ticket trackers (Vinod may be able to help you here, as he's ported them)

2. If you find that they're so slick that we should shit-can new-ticket, let us know and tell us why.  My guess is you won't, of course.  More likely is that you may find a feature or two that would be good to have in new-ticket, and that we'll want to investigate adding them.

3. If you're interesting in porting, it would be very good to have ticket descriptions stored in the content repository (so we get Full Text Searching on them for free) and to have it use acs-workflow and acs-mail/acs-messaging or whatever the heck JonG says is the right thing to use for alerts.  These changes would make the package consistent with the 4.x design (tickets themselves might want to be objects, in order to get permission handling from the 4.x permissions package).

4. If you're really ambitious offer to port the SDM to 4.x, too :)

Collapse
Posted by Al Walworth on
Don, thanks for your suggestions. Using 4.x workflow, full text search, permissions, and alerts on the face of it makes sense.

I used an earlier version of ACS Ticket Tracker a year ago. It had some capabilities beyond those offered by New Ticket, but none I really needed. Ability to define and save custom views (filters) was nice, though it added a bit more complexity. Ability to specify a feature for each report could be worthwhile, but we did not use it, because it added a step to ticket creation and restricted assignment of a ticket to members of the group owning the ticket's feature. I can imagine the advanced search (by example) being useful, but rarely had occasion to use it.

In any case, I'll look at the 4.x ticket trackers, and try to come up with a plan for ending up with an ideal tracker in OpenACS 4.

Unfortunately I don't think I can help with SDM anytime soon -- not that I wouldn't like to, but I'm short of time.