The situation is as follows: Until now, I restarted the whole server
with "reboot". (I had not even read about the clean way to stop or
restart PostgreSQL). At some unlucky moment, I decided to change
nsd.tcl so that passwords would be encrypted. I thought that in order
to make the change work I should restart both AOls and Postgres, and
so I did... using Ctrl-C in both virtual consoles where these were
running, and restarting. From that moment on, nobody was able to
access their homepages or intranet, or even to log in. It appeared
that passwords were changed, and after asking the server to email
those it was able to log in again, but homepages and all intranet
pages (i.e. all pages with /intranet/....) were inaccessible.
Don, your suggestion (and question) is helpful but I do not know how
to find out which QUERY it is that PG has problems with.
To ask how I could get to know this is, IMO, something to be
cathegorized as a *RTFM*-question (I should find out for myself,
taking a bit of time), but my friends here insist I should ask. (I'm
afraid a couple more of those questions would damage my (not too
clever) reputation even more
Still, we have no time to lose now so I ask anyone with a lot of
compassion to tell me how to find out what kind of query it is that
causes the above error message and what to do about it.