Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Using Xowiki from the Learning Design Player GRAIL

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Dear Abelardo,

Your addition to IMS-LD sounds very useful. When we worked with IMS-LD about two years, the major show stopper for our teachers was the inflexibility: doing an ex-ante design of a course and having a "player" which does not allow a teacher to make any changes in a running course is not the way professors in brick & mortar universities expect to interact with a learning environment. Most probably, distant universities have different situations and needs. So, any attempt to improve agility is the right way to go, we all know that a wiki offers more flexibility than just HTML editing.

My point of view on the 2 items:

1) i do not know any installation of dotlrn, which does not have xowiki installed. Not being part of the dotlrn core package was at least for me no reason to stop work on something i believe that is useful. The list of packages of what's included in dotlrn and dotlrn-extras is not fixed. If there is interest from the community to extend this list with xowiki/imsd or whatever, maybe the dotlrn consortium will got for it. I won't participate much in this discussion, since i have probably a biased opinion. I think Rocael und Nima have already put some ideas to the wish list https://openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_2.5

2) Are you referring about the removal of the master-template in the iframe? You could pass to xowiki a different template file, e.g. like in
https://openacs.org/xowiki/.LRN_2.5?template_file=view-links
The view-links template is designed for adp-includes and is just returning the HTML snippet. It should work for most simple applications nicely. For an iframe, i would recommend to provide a custom adp file with an appropriate HTML head etc., such that e.g. page specific css files will continue to work.

-gustaf neumann

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
So, any attempt to improve agility is the right way to go, we all know that a wiki offers more flexibility than just HTML editing.
Yeah, but none of that flexibility fits into the IMS notion of what a course is, which is a set of resources and sequencing information, nothing more. The only thing that makes sense in that context is to be able to edit an existing resource.
If there is interest from the community to extend this list with xowiki/imsd or whatever, maybe the dotlrn consortium will got for it.
We're in the last round of adopting accessibility requirements. Meeting those accessibility requirements is a prerequisite for considering xowiki for inclusion in .LRN.
For an iframe, i would recommend to provide a custom adp file with an appropriate HTML head etc., such that e.g. page specific css files will continue to work.
IMS resources including HTML files should be standalone, so they can be created using standard course creation tools. The bare-naked HTML - including the HTML, HEAD and BODY tags included within - has to be returned directly with no wrapping by the LMS.
Hi Gustaf,

The aDeNu group (UNED) maintains 3 dotlrn sites, none of them has xowiki installed. We have to satisfy accessibility requirements and that's why we don't use it for now.

Note that imsld package is already in dotlrn-extras, it has been added for 2.3 IIRC.

Hi Gustaf,

In the name of the Official UNED .LRN website (hosted by Innova), I have to say that UNED is using xowiki, at least, in 4 dotlrn sites (plus their development instances). We are planning to use it in another 3 more websites we are developing.

We also use the "content" application Roc's said before.