Forum OpenACS Q&A: AOLserver & OpenACS Benchmarks

Collapse
Posted by James Thornton on
I have been getting meager performance from my OpenACS sites. I ran 
ApacheBench against both an AOLserver-only site and an out-of-the-box 
OpenACS site, using the default AOLserver page. 

Summary: AOLserver/3.2+ad10 (1176.47 rps), OpenACS 3.2.4 (6.81 rps)

How can I improve this? Based on my server, shouldn't I be getting 
closer to 20-30 rps on an out-of-the-box OpenACS site?:

Both sites are running on the same server, separate IPs (no virtual 
hosting), and logging was turned off during the tests:

PIII 500 MHz, 320 MB memory, RAID1 IDE (8ms access time), RedHat 6.2 

10:27pm  up 57 days, 12:33,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.05, 0.09
97 processes: 96 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states:  0.4% user,  0.1% system,  0.3% nice,  0.5% idle
Mem:   322628K av,  160148K used,  162480K free,  160788K shrd,    
8900K buff
Swap:  530064K av,   88560K used,  441504K free                   
40108K cached

-------------------------------------- 
AOLserver/3.2+ad10: 

[nsadmin@roam apache]$ bin/ab -n 700 -c 50 
http://roam.unifiedmind.com:8000/index.html
This is ApacheBench, Version 1.3c <$Revision: 1.45 $> apache-1.3
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, 
http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-2000 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        
AOLserver/3.2+ad10                                 
Server Hostname:        roam.unifiedmind.com
Server Port:            8000

Document Path:          /index.html
Document Length:        1689 bytes

Concurrency Level:      50
Time taken for tests:   0.595 seconds
Complete requests:      700
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      1366040 bytes
HTML transferred:       1199190 bytes
Requests per second:    1176.47
Transfer rate:          2295.87 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        1     7    14
Processing:    18    32    41
Total:         19    39    55

------------------------------------------------ 
OpenACS 3.2.4: 

[nsadmin@roam apache]$ bin/ab -n700 -c50 
http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.html
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, 
http://www.zeustech.net/

Benchmarking electricspeed.com (be patient)...
Server 
Software:                                                           
Server Hostname:        electricspeed.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /aolserver.html
Document Length:        1691 bytes

Time taken for tests:   102.831 seconds
Total transferred:      1363757 bytes
HTML transferred:       1195411 bytes
Requests per second:    6.81
Transfer rate:          13.26 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     3    57
Processing:   823  7085 22441
Total:        823  7088 22498

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, what are the pages doing?  You're looking at about 150 milliseconds per page returned.  Depending on what they're doing, that's either horribly slow or blindingly fast - you've given us no context.

A typical database hit on my 500 MHz celeron-based laptop seems to take 25-100 milliseconds in both Oracle and Postgres.  These are informal numbers generated by the acs-developer package that I've noticed while working on OpenACS 4 code.

So if your pages are built using several database queries the number your seeing doesn't seem unreasonable.

On the other hand, if this is a raw HTML page that's simply been put into the www directory of an OpenACS installation, then you've got some very serious problems.

Can you tell us more about the actual pages you're serving?

Collapse
Don -

Thanks for the reply. All modules have been disabled except for nssock, and I simply copied the default AOLserver page to the www directory of an uncustomized OpenACS 3.2.4 install -- it's a static page (see http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.html).

However, the nsd.tcl file for this server is configured so that files having the .html extension are parsed as ADP pages. BUT, I get similar results after giving aolserver.html a different extension so that it isn't parsed as an ADP page (i.e. aolserver.shtml):

[nsadmin@roam aolserver]$ /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -n 700 -c 50 http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.shtml
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/

Server Software:        AOLserver/3.2+ad10                                 

Document Path:          /aolserver.shtml

Time taken for tests:   110.872 seconds
Total transferred:      1473500 bytes
HTML transferred:       1182300 bytes
Requests per second:    6.31
Transfer rate:          13.29 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     3    34
Processing:  1656  7669 28536
Total:       1656  7672 28570
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Hmmm...I missed the "document path" above, it does look as though you're simply serving up the page "aolserver.html"???
Collapse
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
You are running at a concurrency level of 50; that is, 50 client connections are being simulated (simultaneous connections).  Further, you have not turned on keepalive with the -k option, so keepalives are not being used.

What is probably happening is that performance sucks because there is the overhead of running all the startup tcl whenver a new thread is initialized.  Since you are initializing 50 threads, there is a noticeable delay in starting up all those interpreters - most likely your nsd.tcl file does not have MaxThreads=50 or anything like that.

Alternatively, what is happening is that you are limited in the number of threads the server is running; in this case, there are say 20 threads that are handling multiple high-speed connections.

I would say that having 50 simultaneous connections all of which do not use keepalive is probably not very real world.  Further, you are only running 700 connections total - so the thread startup stuff is skewing the results.  You can check this by running with -n 7000 and seeing what happens - the avg number in the summary should drop.

That being said, I have seen similar numbers during my testing.  My guess is that the filters that determine whether you are able to access the page slows things down.  Yet it does not seem sluggish when my clients hit the pages, even over high speed DSL or cable modems.

As a side issue, it would be interesting to see how much load the 50 simultaneous Apache's are placing on your system.  The best tool to view this is usually "vmstat 5" - look for the context switch and CPU idle numbers.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
One problem with this train of reasoning is the fact that he's serving
many more pages a second without OpenACS in the way, i.e. thread start-up

wouldn't appear to be the problem.  Though it often can be a problem if you don't configure correctly, as Patrick points out.

Are you running Tcl 8 or Tcl 7, James?

Collapse
Don - I am running Tcl 8.3.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Try with MinThreads=MaxThreads in nsd.tcl, set to some reasonable level, and play with the concurrency level in Apache bench.  Also, make sure you haven't enabled ADP parsing for .html files.

If you're using Tcl 8, every thread gets its own interpreter which must be set up when the thread's created.  If MinThreads=MaxThreads the server
will initialize that many threads at startup, then keep them alive forever.

AHA - when each thread's interpreter is set up, among other things it must source your Tcl library, which means all those OpenACS Tcl files in your tcl directory.  They're being compiled and the bytecode cached.

Without OpenACS being involved, there's no library to be sourced.

Sounds faster, doesn't it?

I bet this is a big part of the answer right there.  Set up nsd.tcl as I've suggested above, and start it up.  Then run Apache.  With MinThreads=MaxThreads no threads should be created or destroyed during the benchmarking session.

Collapse
Patrick -

Here are results from testing with 7000 connections with keepalive OFF (its corresponding vmstat results are posted to http://jamesthornton.com/acs/vmstat.txt):

(Results for 700 and 7000 connections with keepalive ON follow.)

[nsadmin@roam aol32]$ /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -n 7000 -c 50 http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.shtml

Time taken for tests:   978.370 seconds
Complete requests:      7000
Total transferred:      14735000 bytes
HTML transferred:       11823000 bytes
Requests per second:    7.15
Transfer rate:          15.06 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     1    64
Processing:   930  6961 29135
Total:        930  6962 29199

------------------------------------
700 connections keapalive on:

[nsadmin@roam aol32]$ /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -k -n 700 -c 50 http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.shtml

Time taken for tests:   111.357 seconds
Keep-Alive requests:    700
Total transferred:      1477000 bytes
HTML transferred:       1182300 bytes
Requests per second:    6.29
Transfer rate:          13.26 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     1    26
Processing:  1586  7709 32402
Total:       1586  7710 32428

-------------
7000 connections keepalive on:

[nsadmin@roam aol32]$ /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -k -n 7000 -c 50 http://electricspeed.com/aolserver.shtml

Time taken for tests:   963.632 seconds
Complete requests:      7000
Keep-Alive requests:    7000
Total transferred:      14770000 bytes
HTML transferred:       11823000 bytes
Requests per second:    7.26
Transfer rate:          15.33 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0    37
Processing:   947  6861 25473
Total:        947  6861 25510
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Did you set minthreads=maxthreads so the thread startup overhead is eaten up before you run apachebench?
Collapse
Posted by Gilbert Wong on

As part of the work I'm doing for a client, I benchmarked the performance of OpenACS 4 and some code that I have developed for this client. I used aD's Traffic Jamme to do the tests. I also ran ApacheBench, but the results are similar.

The webserver and DB server (PostgreSQL) sit on separate machines. The DB server is a Gateway dual PIII 933 server with 1GB of memory and running RAID 10. The webserver is a dual PIII 500Mhz box with 1GB of memory. Both boxes run FreeBSD.

I tested several different pages in the system which had database queries. The queries ranged from a simple permissions check to a query on a tree. Traffic Jamme reported 4 connections/sec for the most complex page (the tree query with some TCL processing) and 17 connections/sec for a simple page with a single query into the acs_permissions table. I ran Traffic Jamme with 50 threads/20 iterations.

I ran top on the DB server and the webserver and found out that the DB server is only using 10% of the CPUs and the webserver is only using 50% of the CPUs. I tried playing around with the MaxThreads=MinThreads=X number to see if I could increase the CPU usage. I tried turning off logging completely. Nothing seemed to increase the maximum number of connections/sec.

Is there something else I can try to do to use more of the CPU time on either server? Is there a bottleneck that I am overlooking? Thanks!

Collapse
oh yeah, and after running vacuum analyze I picked up an extra connection/sec :)
Collapse
For anyone who is interested, I found out why both CPUs were not being utilized.  FreeBSD uses userland threads which can't be shared across processors.  AOLServer is a single process running multiple threads.  One solution would have been to run another instance of AOLServer and do some sort of round-robin DNS.  But I chose to use linuxthreads.

I compiled the linuxthreads port for FreeBSD and recompiled AOLServer to use linuxthreads.  linuxthreads causes each thread to be treated as a process.  After restarting AOLServer, I ran top and watched the threads spread to both CPUs during the benchmark.  It looks like FreeBSD can put individual processes on separate CPUs, which was confirmed when I looked at the postmaster running on the other FreeBSD machine.  Each connection was a separate process and FreeBSD spread the load across the CPUs.

As a result of the tweaking I doubled the connection/sec since I started benchmarking on this particular page (3 connections/sec to 7 connections/sec).  PostgreSQL is not getting worked at all so I am convinced that another webserver will help greatly.  For this server (dual PIII, 1GB RAM, OpenACS 4, PG 7.1.2), it looks like the maximum connections/sec is 17 (just serving the default aolserver index.html page).

I'm compiling a FreeBSD install/tuning guide which I will send to Roberto as soon as I finish.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Gilbert,

It's terrific that you're compiling this FreeBSD guide! It'll be very welcome, and I'm sure many in the community will appreciate it.

As per the performance, it may be possible to increase this. Are you loading ALL OpenACS 4 packages? Do you have developer support turned on?

I keep thinking that we should port the request processor to C...

Collapse
Posted by Stephen . on
For this server (dual PIII, 1GB RAM, OpenACS 4, PG 7.1.2), it looks like the maximum connections/sec is 17 (just serving the default aolserver index.html page).
Which is kind of pathetic, isn't it? Do you know what the bottlneck is?
Collapse
Posted by Yon Derek on
17 is a bit small for such a machine. I just ran ab -c 20 -n 5000 (20 concurrent connections/5000 total) on Linux 6.2 and PIII 600 Mhz laptopt/256 MB ram and I guess very slow IDE disk), AOLServer 4 beta1/OpenACS 4/Postgres 7.1.2. I got 1100 req/sec for a pure .html, it fell down to 420 req/sec when I used nsvhr/nssock.

More to the point, I got 21 req/sec for a simple OpenACS 4 page that, I believe, did at least one db hit to verify permissions. ab was run on the same machine as web server/db. Those are very simplistic measures, so take them with appropriate grain of salt.

Conclusion: my machine is way worse than yours yet it did better. The only difference is: platform and version of AOLServer used but I would be surprised if this did matter that much. Maybe I botched my benchmarks.

Anyone has other results for OpenACS 4?

Collapse
Roberto - I only have the acs-core and a custom package I've developed.  I'm not sure if I have developer support turned on or not.  Where is it set?

Stephen - The server can sustain 45-50 requests per second during the test, but it drops off for some reason and the average is 17 req/sec.  Maybe it's an issue with Traffic Jamme.  I wanted to try it with ApacheBench, but I couldn't get it to hit the IP address.  It kept crashing.

Collapse
Posted by Yon Derek on
BTW: anyone succeded in doing performance profiling for AOLServer? I tried both gperf and cperf to find out where AOLServer spends its time. Spend a few hours on it and failed miserably. As far as I'm concerned profiling support for C code under Linux sucks. But maybe someone did it and can share the tips (AFAIKT just following docs for gperf/cperf doesn't cut it).
Collapse
Yon,

For a simple db page (ie permissions check), I got 17 connections/sec.  There might be something wrong with my benchmarking technique.  For the static HTML page, I left all of the necessary aolserver modules on.

Gilbert

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
In OpenACS 4 we know that the request processor is a bottleneck because it was a known bottleneck in aD's ACS 4 classic.

I'm a bit concerned about the fact that Postgres isn't working much in
Gilbert's 7 page/sec scenario.  Gilbert - you mention that the two CPUs are now getting AOLserver threads assigned (good observation on the userlands threads issue, that really sucks).  Are they both mostly
pegged?

If there's idle CPU time in there and if PG's not terribly busy and if
you've allocated enough shared buffer space to PG and disk I/O (or kernal time for shuffling data back-and-forth between the kernel cache and the PG shared buffer cache) then you've got more work to do.  Perhaps you don't have enough db connections allocated for each pool and threads are stalling waiting for connectiosn.

On the other hand, if both CPUs are pegged then toss that theory out the window.

Another potential bottleneck in OpeNACS 4 is, of cousre, the query dispatcher.  I haven't followed Ben's work in awhile and don't know if
query mapping's being cached at the moment or not.

The fact that only 17 vanilla html pages/sec are being delivered points to the request processor.  I'd hope we could avoid writing it in C but it is clear we need to hammer on that to make it more efficient one way or another.

Collapse
Don,

Both CPUs are pegged on the webserver.

Gilbert

Collapse
Posted by Yon Derek on
Looks pretty cool, something I've been looking for. Thanks.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Would somebody here be willing to set this up with OpenACS and write a quick HOW-TO on how to?  This would be extremely useful.
Collapse
Posted by carl garland on
As a further note, I posted a wimpy point presentation on Profiling with AOLserver here that I did awhile back. Also Tali there is no easy way for people to go to wp on this server without knowing its there. Also there seems to be an error in that all presentations are showing up for *Your Presentations*.  This presentation and another I posted are by no means a full implementation just hopefully a teaching exercise for newbies on how they can use AOLservers features to incorporate some functionality.

Best Regards,

Collapse
UPDATE: I upgraded my server from RedHat 6.2 to 7.1, and this allowed me to use an UltraDMA controller for its IDE drives.

<p>For a static html page, performance improved from 6.81 RPS to 27.64 RPS. And for a dynamic page with ~two database queries, performance improved to ~12 RPS.

<pre>
[root@roam james]# /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -n 700 -c 20 http://electicspeed.com/aolserver.html

Server Software:        AOLserver/3.2+ad10
Server Hostname:        electricspeed.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /aolserver.html
Document Length:        1689 bytes

Concurrency Level:      20
Time taken for tests:  25.324 seconds
Complete requests:      700
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      1534400 bytes
HTML transferred:      1182300 bytes
Requests per second:    27.64
Transfer rate:          60.59 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min  avg  max
Connect:        0    1    44
Processing:  175  710  1589
Total:        175  711  1633
</pre>

Collapse
Posted by Michel Henry de Generet on
I didn't make much test on ACS4 classic, but it is quite evident that the bottleneck is the request processor which check the permission for everything. When requesting a page you will see that many threads are asking the same permission info. Should it be cached and available to other threads, you could make it muchefaster.
For instance you could disable the permission on specific path as described in http://www.arsdigita.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg%5fid=000cfi&topic%5fid=21&topic=web%2fdb
Collapse
Here's the thread on disabling permissions for a path, archived at redht:

http://ccm.redhat.com/bboard-archive/webdb/000cfi.html