Forum .LRN Q&A: OpenACS bootcamp

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
OpenACS Bootcamp
Tracy Adams, Alum, Julie Bergfeld
Mon Jan 10 thru Fri Jan 14, 09am-12:00pm, E52-010, 1/12/05 9-10am and 12-2pm

Enrollment limited: advance sign up required (see contact below)
Signup by: 07-Jan-2005
Limited to 20 participants.
Participants requested to attend all sessions (non-series)

This class will teach you how to set up and extend OpenACS to create your own customized database backed website. OpenACS is a toolkit for building scalable, community-oriented web applications. The full stack is open source. OpenACS is the base software platform for .LRN, which is used by SloanSpace. The activity will cover: an overview of OpenACS and its functionality, key architectural OpenACS design principles, configuring OpenACS to specific needs, the basics of SQL and database design, and extending OpenACS to make your own application. This class is intended for those with basic programming knowledge.
Web: http://www.openacs.org
Sponsor: Sloan School of Management

This is open to consortium members.
Contact me (mailto:teadams@Mit.edu) to sign up.

Collapse
2: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Any chance to broadcast that bootcamp over the internet?

Greetings and happy new year,
Nima

Collapse
3: Re: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 2)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Pending sponsorship and finding a suiteable date, we plan to run a bootcamp in Germany right before the new semester starts end of March.
Collapse
4: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Posted by Luigi Martini on
"Any chance to broadcast such bootcamp over the internet?"
Just in case, would S5 [latest beta] be useful?
I guess so.
Collapse
5: Re: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 4)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
This would be helpful for the material. But I was thinking of a live stream where you can join the workshop and communicate with the other participants using irc or jabber.
Collapse
7: Re: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 4)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Also useful would be ActiveSlide (http://www.activeslide.de), which controls your slides in TCL
Collapse
6: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Wonderful!
Let's have both!
A rich, well documented presentation, could be useful while *at* the bootcamp and could be at the same time put on the site to allow everybody else in the future enjoy it.
Lightweight, no technical requisites, and possibly a good introductory piece to the toolkit. Add some photographs of the event, and we are virtually there...
Collapse
8: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
There isn't enough preparation time for me to do all the onsite stuff and the remote stuff or this one.

But Caroline and I will be investing more into the bootcamps and will have an online one.

There is definitely a demand.

Collapse
9: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Thank you, Tracy.

Malte, S5 is GPL'ed and so compact, practical and straightforward that I would give it a deep look, in case a future need strikes. It offers already all you need to make a real life presentation (no unuseful frills). And Eric Meyer is developing it right now: I can guess that you, skilled people, with a small amount of contact and cooperation, could end up having a S5'ed package ready to plug into OpenAcs within short, for the future enjoyment of all.
As for myself, I'm too ignorant to positively cooperate, and be content to sit and wait for the online bootcamp, with the hope to learn something.

Collapse
11: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Posted by Talli Somekh on
A bootcamp is great and I would very much like to participate, but I may not be the only one for whom it is impossible to free up a week of time in less than a week.

Will there be more bootcamps coming? Is it possible to delay this one?

talli

Collapse
10: Re: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 9)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Luigi (and all),

I've seriously considered making a micro-grant application for integrating S5 into WimpyPoint. I think it would be a huge improvement to the usability and usefulness of WP.

Collapse
12: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 1)
Hi Jarkko,
so, contact Eric please. He also has a small child, just like me, and will surely be happy to provide some advice. I hope, at least.
Collapse
13: Re: OpenACS bootcamp (response to 12)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Hi Luigi,

S5 is very well documented so implementing it should be pretty straight-forward even without direct contact with Eric. I'm sure he will be willing to help, tho, if there will be any problems.

Best wishes to your bebé,
Jarkko