Forum .LRN Q&A: Change .Lrn GUI

Collapse
Posted by Boris Kruvshenko on
Hi all,

does anybody have any idea how to change dotlrn graphic user interface ? or where´s documentation about it ?

Thank you.

Collapse
2: Re: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Define change :). What you can do is change the /packages/dotlrn/www/dotlrn-master.css to suit your needs. Everything else involves a little bit more programming either in the templates (/packages/dotlrn/www/dotlrn-master.adp) if you are lucky or in the code itself.

Make use of firefox and the webdeveloper tool to look at and edit your site (using "Edit CSS" of webdeveloper) and play around with the dotlrn-master.css, which should give you a rough feeling what you can achieve by changing the CSS.

Collapse
3: Re: Res: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
so just changing .css my interface will dramaticly change ?

I may want to make it colorfull or insert some images... where can I touch the master structure to make a master like this openacs.org site ?

and what about the other .css pages that aren´t dotlrn-master.css, what they´re about ?, from different packages ?

sorry about my english, it may not be very good.

Thanks.

Collapse
4: Re: Res: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
And which webdeveloper should I use ? dreamweaver ?, how can I make it work with adp´s ?
Collapse
5: Re: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Boris,

so just changing .css my interface will dramaticly change ?

Yes, if you change it dramatically 😊

I may want to make it colorfull or insert some images... where can I touch the master structure to make a master like this openacs.org site ?

You can change the master template adp file if you want to, but mostly you should change appearance by just editing the css files. You can add images that are part of the layout to your pages by using css background property. That way you separate your page structure from the presentation and it's a whole lot easier to change the appearance later on.

and what about the other .css pages that aren´t dotlrn-master.css, what they´re about ?, from different packages ?

Yes, different package can define their own css files to overwrite "global" css rules or to add new ones.

And which webdeveloper should I use ?

Malte probably meant Firefox Web Developer Extension. It's a great resource when tweaking your layouts.

Collapse
6: Re: Res: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
I´ve test Web Developer Extension and it´s great, thanks.

Anyway, I remember I saw few months ago in this forum some info about how the change graphic interface. I´ve search for it but have no lucky... do you remember where would it be ?

Thank you for all the info, I´ll try to chage the GUI by changing .css files and see what happens :))

Collapse
7: Re: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
Posted by gustaf neumann on
Just in case you are not aware of this wonderful site,
The same content is presented with different css files:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Here are a couple of more designs...
http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

best regards

Collapse
8: Re: Change .Lrn GUI (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
so just changing .css my interface will dramaticly change

In the latest 2.1.x versions, to show different color schemes for my space, classes and communities, we snuck a bit of CSS into a tcl file (dotlrn-master.tcl). These CSS blocks are inserted as inline styles, and they override previously declared styles.

We probably ought to move these blocks into separate files (dotlrn-myspace.css, dotlrn-class.css, dotlrn-community.css), but in the meantime, keep an eye on dotlrn-master.tcl as well.