Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
3: Re: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 2)
Posted by Luis Garcia on
What in the OpenACS install procedure takes a week?
All of the procedure from beginning to end has taken me about a week a few times and when I say a week I don't mean that you sit in from of the server to install packages. But when you have to stop to ask something and get an answer for one reason or another, then you waste time. And doing that between one package and the other then you spend quite a while. And by the end of two or three days of seeing nothing you just give up if you have other options. If you've done it several times (which is probably your case), yes sure it takes an hour or two. But if I'm some one who just wants to evaluate this thing, and who by the way do not have two or three hours to spend just installing it; then, just forget it, I would not buy into it.
Listen man, I am not trying to attack anyone here; I am not criticizing the product itself, which I think is great. But that is reality. It is a very competitive market and the way the product is does not get into mainstream. See, some one here was able to put together a package to install AOLserver with all the blows and whistle needed for it to work with OpenACS, well, just find a way to bundle the whole enchilada somehow (including the xml tools, etc.) so that the client runs one or two files to install it and I think that would be good enough. It is hard to hear that your baby has a problem; but the moment you accept it then you will find a solution for it.