Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
10: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 1)
Posted by xx xx on
The current installation docs are great. Rearranging the docs may help at times. It may also be an improvement to add to the docs as many links possible to problems that people had and were solved at different stages. But, what doesn't change with new docs is that most users are unfamiliar with the platform.

So actually, I don't think more docs are really going to help and Luis is right. It may take a week or more to install openACS if you -while building the platform- go wrong somewhere. There is so much to learn when you are forced to solve a problem during installation. New instructions won't help in my opinion.

I've used the documentation quit a bit. If I follow the instructions, it will take me a morning to install everything. Joel's "cut'n paste" blocks really cut down the time needed to install. Still I'm much happier with the FreeBSD installer (download, 'make install', go drink coffee, return and experience openACS). We need an installer that prevents users from going wrong in the first place. Luckily it seems to have priority: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message%5fid=251367

Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on

Aldert, where do I find Joel's "cut 'n paste" and the FreeBSD one? I just need to make the new version run by Thursday.

Thanks!