Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
23: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 1)
Posted by Luigi Martini on
> ...can simplify... the documentation. -- Dave

The documentation is very very good. And manually skipping some parts, following the different needs, is not a problem.
Please keep the documentation the way it is, well detailed, for it is useful, really. [Implicit thanks to those who wrote it.]
Maybe turning it into a wiki, or taking serious note of comments at the bottom of every page (by automatically opening a ticket, perhaps), could help improve the whole thing. Let me make a plain example about it, just one, small: please give a look at page https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-5-1/individual-programs.html, one of the most basic pages. You will find a rather long list of software (by the time you finish reading it, you are already upset, as a beginner). But then, look please, you reach the very bottom of the page and read the comment that Eric left more than six months ago...
What does that comment mean? Is the documentation really wrong? If so, I'm lost in a nightmare. Or is the comment wrong? And nobody in this community took care of pointing this out after more than six months, by writing a second comment, or deleting Eric's one? Do you know what this mean? It means that the newcomer has to start and find out by himself where the bug is...
Quite negative. Overall, it also gives a very bad impression to the newcomer.

---

> I would prefer a debian package... -- Dave

Me too.
Also, Roberto is quite right.
Luigi