Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Apache support critical

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
To clarify, when I say "why would we care?" I don't mean to imply we don't care about the future of .LRN. Of course we do. Very much.

But ... the success or failure of .LRN is much more dependent on marketing than technical details long-term. The kind of clients most folks in the OpenACS community deal with aren't going give them much insight into the workings of the academic mind. Of course many of us have been getting some insight through working with a variety of universities with .LRN, but with the exception of a small number we don't work within universities. And a large percentage of those who do work in universities outside the US, culturally very different.

So ... "we" (or more properly "I") don't care because the discussion's technically neutral. If someone wants to fund development of an integration package for uPortal or Sakai ala our LDAP integration package or the university registrar database integration package that have already been written for .LRN, it will happen. But "I don't care" because it's not a technical decision. It is a marketing and funding decision.

My guess is that at least some of the .LRN board and marketing/organizational people don't read the OpenACS Development forum and aren't even seeing this unless Carl or Al have asked then to.