Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Will Dr. OpenACS survive? Or why I stopped worrying and learned to love the .LRN consortium?

What I would think is cool is that all the packages and technology (the code in both OpenACS and .LRN) is thought of as "OpenACS".

Some of the issue is historical - the code for the communities ending up in what we call ".LRN". Obviously, that is something that is of generic use for OpenACS. That and some installation issues, there because a "difference" in "running OpenACS" and "running .LRN". Then one thing led to another and the separate gets more and more engrained.

Ignoring these historical things, it really all is the SAME code and it's ALL OpenACS. .LRN is a given configuration and set of packages, it's a consortium, it's a group of users willing to spend time, energy and money to make OpenACS of good use for education.

I've been out pounding the streets for sales in the past couple of weeks and this works quite well:

1. Describing OpenACS and it's benefits
  2. Explaining that .LRN is a configuration of OpenACS for education and a consortium
Keep it simple.