Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just a suggestion

Collapse
34: Re: Just a suggestion (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Frank, I think we have a lot of windows installers with various degrees of mature software. But at the moment there is no clear release process for these. With each release of OpenACS we need a new version of the Windows Installer. No P/O, no .LRN included, just OpenACS Core.

Same goes for .LRN. With each release of .LRN we need to get a new installer for .LRN, that installs .LRN out of the box. No other software should be included.

Then, with the documentation hopefully provided by you and the E-Lane folks, it should be possible to custom build certain versions. E.g. the E-Lane project released the version of .LRN they are distributing across the participating universtities. You could provide a distro based on OpenACS that includes P/O. Jeff could make dotKNOW ready to install.

So here are the three things needed:

- Documentation on an easy process for generating the Windows installer.
- Commitment by one person/organisation to generate the Windows Installer for OpenACS after each release.
- Commitment by one person/organisation to generate the Windows Installer for .LRN after each release.

I think we have the commitment for the next two years by the university of Reading to provide the Windows Installer for .LRN (if I'm not mistaken). For the rest it is a different matter.