Forum OpenACS Q&A: CMS on 3.2.5

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
I would be interested in how people that run OpenACS 3.2.5 do Content
Management (text + pictures + templating)?

What would be the quickest and easiest way? Maybe somebody improved
the capabilities of the news module?!

Collapse
2: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Additional Question to Museatech...

I just stumbled over these two threads:

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00024R
(talking about file-manager ported by Luke... Talli talked about little overhead!!)

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0001l9
(talking about launch of urban parks where dave and luke used: file-manager, general-images etc.)

What would I have to do to get your CMS working?

Collapse
3: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by John Sequeira on
David,

The Musea/ETP work is only for OpenACS 4.0. That would be the first thing you'd need to do (switch versions.)

After that, Luke did a good job on the ETP docs. Give them a try.

Collapse
4: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Hello John,

in the first thread that I posted Talli said that Museatech

"used this (file-manager) as a nice little CMS for 3.2.X. It works quite nicely, without all the crazy overhead that aD's system tried to provide. It's fast and efficient, uses templates for presentation and allows editors plenty of leeway in posting content... (June 29th, 2001)"

Unluckily we didn't really have the time to get into OpenACS 4.x as our major concern is content at the moment.

In the second thread Dave is talking about

"Among other things, he put together the guts of a custom CMS, from scratch and File Manager, in under two weeks! Everything you see with "topics" in the URL is being served by the CMS. Also, most photos are being served by his "general-images" module, a nice bit that would be worth releasing if not obviated by OpenACS4"

This didn't sound too bad in my opinion... Best of all not too complicated and working on 3.2.x!

Am I missing something???

Collapse
5: Merry Christmas (response to 1)
Posted by Luke Pond on
David's right, the content management system I developed for our client Urban Parks Online is for OpenACS 3.2 (and John's right too - it was the precursor to ETP for OpenACS 4.0). I just gathered together a lot of useful code from the UPO web server and uploaded it here so you can see if it works for you. I think you'll be happy with it, especially if you want a site with lots of images like UPO. Plus there's the advantage of using production code; there should be very few bugs remaining.

If you'd like to read about the system's capabilities without having to download the tarball, you can read some of our client documentation: http://urbanparks.pps.org/doc/upo/templating.html and http://urbanparks.pps.org/doc/upo/graphics.html.

If you try using it, let me know if there's any important code I forgot to put in the tarball.

Collapse
6: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
This is an awsome gift... Thanks Luke!!!

I will try to implement this system over the holidays...

Merry Christmas to everybody else in the community!!

Collapse
7: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Hello Luke,

we are using categories a lot in order to structure our content... At the moment we are using a rebuilt general-comments for user content upload (ala epinions). We use on_what_id = category_id AND on_which_table = categories to match comments to categories...

What would be the best way to match topics from your cms with a category? We basically want the database to generate the proper links to cms topics when a category is called.

Collapse
8: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Luke Pond on
I made a mistake with the tarball I uploaded, which is probably making you feel very confused!  The "cm.sql" file I included is *not* the correct data model file.  I have just uploaded a new version of the code that contains the correct data model file, which is called "upo-topics.sql".

As you can see if you look at the data model, it's very simple and allows you to create topics that contain pages or other topics.  The mapping between topics and pages is many-to-many; i.e. the same page can be referenced by more than one topic.  So it seems very likely to me that you can use this topics system instead of your existing categories table.

The data model allows as many levels of nesting as you want; however, the registered procedure that serves /topics/* only handles two levels (topic/subtopic/page), since that's all the client needed.  It would be easy enough to rewrite that part to remove that limitation.

Collapse
9: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Luke,

Since I have been working on modetp would you think there is
anything useful that we get from this old CMS for 3.2.5?

Have you checked out the latest modetp?  I am going to start working
on the html editor now.

Jun

Collapse
10: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Svet Ivantchev on
Luke,

First, thank you for this CMS-lite system. I have it almost working but there is one problem: If I access one page via /content/mycont the adp tags get parsed (for example the image-placeholder tag works), _but_ calling the page via /topics/topic/subtopic/mycont leaves tags like image-placeholder and even "master" as is.

It seems that should be somethnig obvious which I miss ...

TIA.

PS: Actually master template still doesn't work for me but probably this problem is related to the above one.

Collapse
11: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Svet Ivantchev on
I am answering myself: in adp section of aolserver configuration file one should add "DefaultParser fancy". If not, "ns_adp_parse -string" doesn't honors registered tags as image-placeholder.
Collapse
12: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Hello Luke,

could you post the file-manager, ADP and vc section that goes into the openACS parameter file??

Do I have to install CVS? If yes is there a quick howto somewhere?

Thanks

Collapse
13: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Hello Luke again,

could you post the code for upo_admin_context_bar? Incidentally it is missing...

I just found out that you have some tcl8x specific code in there? I just saw some inside topic-ae-2.tcl... Is there a lot more?

Collapse
14: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Posted by Cynthia Kiser on
If the OpenACS file manager is like the original ACS version, there is a configuration parameter for whether or not the file manager uses version control or not. Automatic use of CVS is one of the major things I like about file-manager so I would recommend using it. CVS can be found at http://www.cvshome.org/. Don't know how hard it is to make; it was either on the system (like my RedHat box) or I just copied a working binary from one system to another. One thing to double check - you will need have a version >= 10. Think it is called Halibut if I remember.
Collapse
15: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
Thanks Cynthia,

I encountered a strange behaviour with file-manager... The path variable is not being transfered correctly... It somehow transforms the path into the current url... Is this an aolserver problem?

For example:

I am in /admin/file-manager/

I click on "content" in the left frame that shows the file-system's directory tree

There are two links (Add a file / Add a directory) in the right frame that displays /admin/file-manager/file-list. Originally they should have the path /content, but they always have the path /admin/file-manager/file-list no matter what I clicked on in the left frame...

The same happens when I want to upload a file in file-upload.tcl

In file-upload I changed path to the_path and it works correctly, but that can't be the solution...

Collapse
16: Response to CMS on 3.2.5 (response to 1)
I just installed the newest cvs version 11.something, but I get the following error message when uploading a file via file-manager:

[22/Feb/2002:13:43:36]
    Error: vc_add: Unknown command: `content/artikel-iv.adp'

CVS commands are:
            add          Add a new file/directory to the repository
            admin        Administration front end for rcs
            annotate     Show last revision where each line was modified
            checkout     Checkout sources for editing
            commit       Check files into the repository
            diff         Show differences between revisions
            edit         Get ready to edit a watched file
            editors      See who is editing a watched file
            export       Export sources from CVS, similar to checkout
            history      Show repository access history
            import       Import sources into CVS, using vendor branches
            init         Create a CVS repository if it doesn't exist
            log          Print out history information for files
            login        Prompt for password for authenticating server
            logout       Removes entry in .cvspass for remote repository
            pserver      Password server mode
            rannotate    Show last revision where each line of module was modified
            rdiff        Create 'patch' format diffs between releases
            release      Indicate that a Module is no longer in use
            remove       Remove an entry from the repository
            rlog         Print out history information for a module
            rtag         Add a symbolic tag to a module
            server       Server mode
            status       Display status information on checked out files
            tag          Add a symbolic tag to checked out version of files
            unedit       Undo an edit command
            update       Bring work tree in sync with repository
            version      Show current CVS version(s)
            watch        Set watches
            watchers     See who is watching a file
    (Specify the --help option for a list of other help options)

[22/Feb/2002:13:43:36]
    Error: vc_commit, command commit -m "David Kuczek (david@kuczek.de) - Artikel 4" content/artikel-iv.adp: /usr/bin/cvs: invalid option -- m
    Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options-and-arguments]
      where cvs-options are -q, -n, etc.
        (specify --help-options for a list of options)
      where command is add, admin, etc.
        (specify --help-commands for a list of commands
         or --help-synonyms for a list of command synonyms)
      where command-options-and-arguments depend on the specific command
        (specify -H followed by a command name for command-specific help)
      Specify --help to receive this message

The Concurrent Versions System (CVS) is a tool for version control.
    For CVS updates and additional information, see
        the CVS home page at http://www.cvshome.org/ or
        Pascal Molli's CVS site at http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html
    Notice: Querying 'select ad_group_member_p(3, system_administrator_group_id()) from dual;'