Forum OpenACS Development: contacts (heavy) package

Collapse
Posted by Randy Kunkee on
The new contacts package in cvs and it looks great. It appeared the following things were being worked on, and I'm just wondering if they are in there yet:

1. Instance awareness? (Or is it aware and I just don't know it yet). I'd like to be able to add it to a dotLRN community to be able to enter contacts that anybody in the community can view. I'd like to be able to view all contacts I have permissions to, i.e. contacts for communities I belong plus my private contacts.

2. Private address book entry? Right now, all entries seem to be public, and the option to remove "public read" permission does not appear to be available. I need private address book entries (this seems easy enough to do myself).

From reading and searching it looked like work was going on for all of this, so in summary I could just ask, what's the latest status of the contacts package?

Thanks for a great package.

Collapse
Posted by Richard Hamilton on
Don't spend too much time on that - there is a new contacts application coming soon which may cover those requirements. You could check out this spec too if you are interested in the general direction that the new version will be working towards.

http://gone.openacs.org/storage/view/proposals/contacts-module/Contacts_Package_Requirements.htm

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Is this new version available in CVS or will it become available in the near future ?
Collapse
Posted by Randy Kunkee on
Will the new version leverage off the work already done in the contacts package or is it something new from scratch?

If this is new, will there be a migration path so we can drop in the new package?

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
The new package is subsite aware (and instance aware), it also has private address books (the way that it works is similar to the way that there are shared calendars in the calendars package). The new contacts package removes all attribute management features into a new package called ams. its not really pluggable into the old model since its a totally different backend (that's WAY more efficient and easier to maintain. There shouldn't be scalablility issues with the new contacts package (as there are with the one in CVS now). I am working on getting it into a state that can be uploaded to CVS and hope to have it done soon, but since its a side project for me and there are constantly things coming up i can't give you a timeline that will mean anything.
Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Mathew,

What's the status of contacts package?

Thanks
Ben

Collapse
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
The new contacts package I have been working on has been uploaded to cvs.openacs.org HEAD as version 1.0d - it is not upgradeable from contacts 0.1d, and uses ams 1.0d (which is also at cvs.openacs.org). There will be some siginificant advancements made over the next while, but as it stands it shows off what its capable of and should install fine on OpenACS HEAD and 5.1.5.