Forum OpenACS Q&A: Planning a package to allow visitor submitted content similar to edit-this-page for OpenACS 4

I am planning a package I will need for an upcoming site I am
building. I need to accept submissions for several similar types of
data. The closest thing to what I imagine is edit-this-page for
OpenACS 4. The important part is that it allows you to define a
custom application and then creates the forms to accept input and
applies the appropriate template to display the items. The feature
that is different than say general-comments or bboard or news is that
you can define custom attributes for each application type.

What this package needs that is different from ETP is that each
submission would be owned by the person who submitted it. So that the
only people who could edit an item would be the original author or a
site administrator.

Is there anything else existing I can look at, or has anyone tried
something like this?

Modifying ETP to behave this way is not very hard.  Basically you allow everybody to submit then your template file will just give the user the edit this page links if the user_id is equal to the owner.

I am working on modetp check it out at demo.infiniteinfo.com/modetp.  I am planning also to integrate workflow into this.  Although not a real priority for me.  But I think its something close to what you will be doing.  Basically I want modetp to be able to accept content submissions from the public then the section administrator to approve it and publish it.  I will have to ask help from Vinod since I think he is the workflow guy.

Jun,

I have checked out modetp and the enhancements are great. Let me know if I can help out in any way with your work on ETP. I will take a look at workflow this week, so maybe I can help.

If I can add these features to ETP it would cover 90% of the functionality I need. Thanks.

I can give you the latest stable release code.  The one that you have seen is a little old I will upload in a middle of this week.

My goal for this week is:

- visual editor but only works for IE but its a good step up.  The visual editor should also work for other packeges such as bboard, news, etc.

- Tested with host address mapping.  This way multiple modetp instances can run on a single ACS site and can server many modetp powered sites.

I have given the code to Luke P so he can integrate it with ETP.  I really dont want to have a modetp and ETP I just want to have a single stuff.  I am also looking at restructuring much of modetp/ETP.  If you need the code and in a hurry I can give you are tar ball of it and the old documentation that I gave to Luke P.