Forum OpenACS Q&A: WebDAV

Collapse
Posted by Gary Roesler on
Has anyone successfully mapped a network drive in Windows XP to a webDAV folder, and if so do you have documentation on the settings and/or any configuration/system changes.

Thanks

Collapse
2: Re: WebDAV (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Sure.

If you are using the oacs-dav package to provide WebDav services you should just need to add something like this.

My Computer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive
Click Sign up for online storage or connect to a network server. Click Next. Select Choose another network location and click Next.IN the Internet or network address box put

http://yoursite.com/dav/...webdav...path

File storage, if it has webdav available has a URL for the webdav access at the bottom of the page. You can copy and paste the URL here.

From there you will most likely be asked to authenticate with your OpenACS email/username and password. After that the webdav folder should open up to show your files.

Collapse
3: Re: WebDAV (response to 2)
Thanks Dave I've had that working before that's using Webfolders, but I am hoping to map to a Drive Letter. ie J:\

I have read that is suppose to be possible with webDAV I am just can get it working with OpenACS.

I have tried "NET USE" and My Computer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive. But no luck I keep getting System Error 59 or System Error 67 will NET USE. And with Map Network Drive "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I have verified that my WebDAV mini-redirector is the lastest version.

Collapse
4: Re: WebDAV (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
There are upwards of 40 different variations of webdav client for windows, and you probably have 3 or 4 of them on one machine.

The support for the different clients is very difficult.

There is a newer version of WebDAV support for AOLserver that was never integrated with OpenACS that does have better windows client bug workarounds implemented.

Let me know if you are interested in this new version and I can give you some pointers.

Collapse
5: Re: WebDAV (response to 4)
Hey Dave,

I know it's been a while since you responded to my original request. But I am finally getting back to this. Can you send me any pointers or anything you have on this. I will admit I will probably have some follow up questions.

Thanks Gary

Collapse
6: Re: WebDAV (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hmm, its hard to say. Best bet would be to get the newer version of tDav from AOLserver CVS and try to integrate into OpenACS.
Note that Windows 7 does not have WebDav support anymore, so I am not sure how long that will be a viable option.

You can also research the WebDrive software which is not free, but it is what we recommend for everyone trying to use WebDav on Windows.