Forum OpenACS Q&A: Package Manager Problem ?

Collapse
Posted by Peter Alberer on

I noticed a problem with the package manager in a recently downloaded, freshly installed OpenACS instance.

It seems that the dependency check is not working, as i cannot install any package that needs acs-messaging, templating ... Of course all of these packages get installed on first boot.

As this problem is a very prominent one probably someone has found an easy cure for it ?

TIA

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I'll be doing test installs over the next couple of days (before cutting  a beta tarball) so I'll definitely be taking a look.  But ... I've been installing recent cuts from CVS frequently over the past two weeks, so if it's been broken it's been broken very, very recently.

Which RDBMS - Oracle or PG - are you using?

Collapse
I tried a nightly-tarball last week and some minutes ago i downloaded yesterdays tarball. Both had the same problem. The database i am using is postgres.
Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
Don,

I've also run into a couple of situations where the installer gets stuck in an infinite loop after the "Loading Package Info Files" screen--just after you click "Next".

Sorry I don't have more info for you.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Thanks, Peter ... I've been working mostly with the Oracle version recently.  I'll try a sample install of the PG version.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I just installed from CVS and bboard installs without a hitch, and requires acs-messaging ...

So ... first guess is that our nightly tarballs are hosed again (damn).

Can you tell me a specific package that fails?  I'll try that with my CVS-derived version.

Collapse

Well, general-comments for example complained about the missing acs-messaging. And the glossary package complained about missing acs-templating.

I will try to get the files via CVS and try that way.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
OK, I'm fairly convinced that (sigh) nightly tarballs are (sigh) fsck'd up again (sigh).  You need to install general comments to install bboard so ... so ... sigh.
Collapse
<p>I tried the CVS version now and had the same problem.
<ul><li> Clean Install (new db)
<li> Install Package
<li> General Comments does not install (Requires acs-messaging of version >= 4.0)
</ul>
<p>Too bad !
<p>A quick look into the error-log did not reveal any problems there. The install worked perfectly so far. I am using Aolserver 3.3+ad13 with Postgresql 7.1.3.
Collapse

After some playing around i think the problem is on my side:

select apm_package_version__version_name_greater('4.0.1', '4.0'); returns -1.

Could this be a problem with a wrong collation order or something like that ?

Collapse
The ugly, dirty hack to change the service version of acs-messanging to 4.1 removed the problem -> So I do not think that the nightly tarball has problems.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Oh, it is that bleeping charset problem, then.  *bleep*.  Please add this as a bug to the SDM if it's not there already.  We need to do something about this but I'm not quite how to fix it.

Brilliant suggestions eagerly accepted ...

I am *really* glad to hear it doesn't appear to be a problem with nightly tarballs because I really did think they were working.