Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Open Developer Discussions

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
As far as suggestions are concernced, at one point I remember seeing a listing over at Gnome (couldn't find it just now) highlighting which modules and which developers had the most CVS commits that week. Something similar for OACS would give the project that kind of transparency - you could see in an instant who was working on what and when. It wouldn't directly address collaboration, but it would likely help steer would be contributors in the right direction.

Regarding dotLRN:

In the past few weeks, I've received a few murmurs of disapproval concerning OpenForce's delay in releasing an initial version of dotLRN. I suspect more people have this feeling and are maybe reluctant to mention it. We've been struggling with the right model for dotLRN because we need to do extremely rapid development, but we also want community input and participation (it is an open-source effort). It seemed to us that we needed a solid base before we could fully open up the process. I think we're reaching this solid base.

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/x147.html

"Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers."

What would a discussion about open source development be without a reference to ESR?