Forum OpenACS Development: Response to aolserver-errors

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
My information came from the powers that had control over the code base known as ACS.

Lets just say that this script plus restart-aolserver were partially rewritten by myself for bootcamp setups and I was told that they would not be introduced into that pristine ACS tree due to "security flaws" in running tclsh.

There was also a similar aversion to running acs using anything but inittab so I did it anyway. Which prompted me to change the LA office to use daemontools against the sysadmins advice in Boston. This was several weeks before the big fiasco of letting all developers have sudo on the boxes and a little f'd up inittab that brought some clients boxes down for a good while. AD and security were two words that really don't belong together.

One of the big problems at AD was that people felt that if Philip said they were good, they believed him. And, that caused a lot of shi*&y engineering to take place.

I don't know the history of your actual writing of that script, but afterwards not accepting the changes for security reasons was absurd. Also, if tcl can't parse a file as quick as perl we really should be running Apache w mod_perl and one of those great guru hackers at corporate should have guided you in the proper direction.