Forum OpenACS Q&A: Red Hat Acquires ArsDigita

Collapse
Posted by Saras Udanpur on
In an email I received today from Howard A. Jacobson, VP, Red Hat, Inc. "Red Hat recently purchased assets and technologies from ArsDigita, and hired a number of ArsDigita personnel."

From Questions about Red Hat and ArsDigita answered:

Will ACSJ remain Open Source?
* Red Hat has committed to the Open Source software since its beginning
* In light of this historic commitment, Red Hat will re-evaluate the non-Open Source licensing plans that AD may have had

Collapse
2: Sorry (response to 1)
This is old news.
Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
Actually, there is some new news here, including the facts that (a) RedHat claims they will continue to develop ACS, and (b) they are going to keep the name, at least for the moment. So our naming crisis may not be over after all.
Collapse
4: Sorry Again (response to 1)
What I meant by "old news" was that my original post was redundant and that the news had already been posted and hence was older.
Collapse
5: Slashdot Discussion (response to 1)
See Red Hat Explains ArsDigita Purchase.

As StudMuffin (hmasing@[umich.edu]) said:
"Greylock was the VC firm behind both RedHat and Ars Digita. RedHat's 'purchase' of Ars Digita allows Greylock to bury the aD losses in the RH books, as well as give a glimmer of hope to the ACS product making the light of day again.

About the Ars Digita staff going to RedHat - the total number appears to be about 10 to 15 people, so it's hardly the flood of engineers. RedHat got ACS for a song. And to think that two years ago when aD approached RedHat about putting ACS into the standard distro, they laughed in our faces.

(Yes, I was an aD wonk)"

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Saras, I hope I don't offend too much with this post because I don't know how long you've been lurking here, but I think the community has generally had enough of the aD soap opera. At least I have.

Prolonging it with cross posting stuff from Slashdot is, uhm, a bit on the tacky side.

Sorry if this is a rude intro to the OACS community. Don't mean it to be. But I think it's in the best interest of everyone to get past all the aD crap.

talli