Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Windows, AOLServer, and OACS

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
The AOL team that handles AOLserver removed windows specific stuff from the code because it made the AOLserver code worse and harder to debug, and they don't run anything on windows. I don't know the nitty-gritty, but there were significant technical issues that were discussed on the lists and on the AOLserver chatroom.

Now that doesn't stop people from modifying it to work on windows. I think acs-misc.sourceforge.net has Windows versions.

Regarding cygwin, I know a lot of people that run PostgreSQL and other unix apps in production under cygwin and they seem to be very happy. I've never made any tests, but I don't _think_ the performance hit is significant. Having more maintainable, more stable code is certainly a good thing if the trade-off in speed is not big.

Having a windows installer would be really nice. I toyed with the idea of creating a windows installer for PostgreSQL and then later OpenACS. Problem is that I never find myself using windows much, so I never got around to doing it. But it would be nice.

Does anybody know what are (if there are any) licensing issues of using the Microsoft installer thingy (.msi?) with GPL'd applications?