Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Windows, AOLServer, and OACS

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Someone should ping Yon Derek about this.  I have VS for C++ but I only have Win98, so even if I had the time to play with AOLserver on Win32 I don't have a proper development box (it sounds like thread support issues make Win98 an inappropriate platform even for testing).

One note about John's work, it doesn't sound to me as though he's "mostly done" with a port, he's made good progress on the *core*, which is just a slice of the necessary work.  Having automated tools do much of the work is a win, of course, it helped a lot with the PG port.  But we were still left with a ton of work to do.

I still think folks trivialize the effort needed to manage and maintain a project supporting three RDBMSs that implement fairly divergent forms of SQL.  I'm concerned about the implications for futher development of the toolkit.  Big chunks of it are frankly lame and need lots of work, and diffusing our resources on a port to a third RDBMS at this time doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do.

I know Michael's interest is largely with dotLRN, and that he deals with large financial companies among other things.  Is Oracle a large barrier of entry in the spaces you're interested in, Michael?  Price is an issue but we do have a twin-pronged solution to offer.