Forum OpenACS Q&A: A general-ratings package for OACS

I am new to ACS, and have a lot of experience in web-based KM
development. The design and development of a "general-ratings"
module is something I'd like to work on.

I think the idea would be to allow the creation of "rating-
dimensions." Each dimension would have it's
own "scale," "description," and "instructions." The scale would be a
numeric range or a list of "phrase value pairs." The description
would be the "title." The instructions could be additional help text
available to a user. Each rating-dimension could be associated with
one or more objects in the system. A rating would be a relationship
among a user, an object, a rating-dimension, and a point on the
rating-dimension's scale.

This could be an object-level service. Users could rate other users,
themselves, a bboard answer, or an entire bboard instance. It would
depend upon the application.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any caveats, ideas, or
interest in this sort of thing.

Looking forward to it.

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I wrote some code for this in 3.2 that assumes a rating is an integer from 1 to N. Like the 3.x general-comments, it assumes you want to rate an object in a table.

It only took half an hour to write so forget about admin tools or anything else fancy (ad_general_ratings_form assumes the user is already logged in, for instance) but may serve you as a starting point. I've put it up here.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
This package (or service-contract, to be more precise) sounds
like it does pretty much everything I'd want to do with a
general-ratings tool. I'd love to see this get done.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I've already welcomed Dean privately but would like to take the opportunity to welcome him in public, as well.

So ... welcome!

Michael Feldstein, who posted above, has a lot of interest in this area.  He's not a techie but his clients folks like Merrill Lynch.  He's one of several folks here who are extremely interested in KM.

Hi Dean!
we have also wrote something similar to what Jonathan gave to you, see it live at Lectario. Its done under openacs 3.2.5, the interest thing is that with this rate system you can add it to different object/modules in the site, also it will collect a general rate for all your contributions so you can see how is your average rate in the community and the others can see it too!

About a KMS, we have been talking about this with Malte Sussdorff, he wrote a very good paper about this but I can't find it. Just a few days ago we exchanged some emails about starting a KMS using openacs 4.5 as the base.

Maybe here is the thread that could start the future KMS, so we can get in contact and start with this!.
Collapse
Posted by Dean Des Rosiers on
Rocael,  your system sounds like it implements a few ideas I had for the OACS implementation.  I think it would be great to work together.

General-ratings is a great place to start adding KMS functionality to the OACS.  I suggest we all focus on that and widen the scope later.

Unfortunately, I don't read enough Spanish to make much sense of Lectario.  It looks like a great site, though.  Congratulations on it!

Another good interface for ratings (and I expect our system to allow any interface the imagination can create) can be found on Netflix.com.  They have a five star rating as well.  What is interesting is that they use hot gifs.  The gifs at first indicate in red the current sitewide rating of the movie.  After you click, it indicates your personal rating in orange.  From then on, when youy look a that movie's entry you see your rating (in orange).  One neat thing is that you can rate many items on one page without any apparent round trip to the server.  They must use a hidden frame or applet.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
General-ratings is a great place to start adding KMS functionality to the OACS. I suggest we all focus on that and widen the scope later.
Yes, I agree. Let's take the approach of slipping in the thin end of the wedge first. As time goes on we can pound it in further and futher ...
Collapse
It might be helpful to pick one sample package (like bboard) as
your prototypical example for implementing the service. From
there, we can encourage others to add the service to other
packages.
Collapse
I agree.  I was just thinking about that myself.  Bboard would be a great starting place.  I expect to start tucking into this later this week.  I still need to become comfortable with the wide array of existing ad_* and ns_* functions at my disposal.  There is a bit of a curve, as you all know!
Collapse
The architecture is see for this service-contract is as follows:

1) a form that allows a user to rate an object shall be placed on the appropriate page

2) the "action" of this form shall be a singleton service that handles all ratings

3) upon registering the user's rating, the service will send the user back to the page from whence they came

I'd like for there to be a widget for painting the rating form on the page.  This widget would look in the db for the different ratings dimensions associated with this object type (e.g. for a photo: "technical composition", "aesthetic quality")
Using the information in the db an appropriate form could be drawn, complete with proper "return-to" information.

So I'm a little stuck.  How much of this stuff has been written?  Is there an service out there that "plugs in" to existing pages and loops back to them after doing some work, or am I in uncharted territory.  Are there an ad_* commands that can help reconstitute the url of the calling page or is the ns_conn command the only game in town?

LOTS of Q's!

Collapse
Posted by David Kuczek on
Just some comments from our experience:

1.) we might want to have one column for the rating and another for the reading of a page... This way we can combine: how many times read + avg rating + how many times rated...

2.) we might want to build a trigger that variably updates other tables like bboard with avg_rating + n_readings + n_ratings so that you don't bust the db, whenever you want to show avg_rating for every post...

There is a similar implementation within 3.2.5 general_links...

Collapse
David,

These are good suggestions.  Since I'd like to allow users to rate objects in more than one dimension (e.g. "is this forum good for XML knowledge" and "are the people on this forum helpful") I think the table we'll be updating on a trigger would be a general-ratings-summary map table that would associate the object with a dimension and then with the summary info.

The number of page reads doesn't feel like part of the ratings package to me.  Isn't there someplace in the request dispatcher that could audit this information?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Dean ... The convention in the ACS is to pass a "return_url" variable in the querystring. You can build it like this:
http://foo.com/bar?return_url=[ns_urlencode [ad_conn url]?[ad_conn query]]
then you return like this:
ad_page_contract {
    return_url example
} {
    return_url:notnull
}

... do lots of cool stuff ...

ad_returnredirect $return_url

In your case you probably want to use the form builder (despite its flaws - we hope to improve it in the upcoming months) in a template. Doing it this way means the client page can simply include it Also since you're talking about a form obviously you wouldn't pass a query string but rather would pass it as a hidden form variable. The above-mentioned form builder API allows the definition of hidden variables. If you e-mail me I can point you to some pages that use it ...

See acs-subsite/www/shared/confirm.tcl/adp for a templated confirmation page and session-update.tcl in the same directory.

The first is a template that allows a user to answer "yes/no", suitable for including from another template.

The second example's both easier and more complex. It just changes a session property and returns, but it signs and verifies the return_url value and makes sure that the connection referrer value matches the one passed along as one of the parameters. I used it in a project to set some semi-sensitive properties (backed up by permissions checking as the comment in that script suggest one do!) and wanted to lower the chances that someone might spoof the page.

Collapse
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I just uploaded, his site isn't up, it might be useful for this new service.

https://openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file.tcl?file_id=359
We built our small rating package using as a base the general-comments package (the general-links its pretty much similar). I based my solution from some code that Lars Pinds gave me too (www.pinds.com).
Collapse
16: User-Tracking Package (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Concerning loggin how often a page was viewed, I'd keep this seperate in a user-tracking package. This package would work as a service, logging every object the user has viewed at a specific time.

For reporting we could use various rules for providing user services like:

• You where interested in FOO, have a look at BAR
  • Your favourites on our site
  • Link it up with categories, sorting the hit lists by categories the user most often visited (aka viewed objects off).
  • Not to talk about the marketing data useful with ecommerce 😊.
Talking about ecommerce, doesnt the ecommerce package already implement the FOO BAR relation?
Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I'd strongly urge not to reinvent the wheel but take Lars Pinds rating system.

It would need some cleanup especially in regards to documentation as well as support for multiple rating-dimensions, though Lars might correct me and say I'm completely blind (I did not even detect the pinds-ratings DDL).

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I shipped Dean a copy of Lars's rating system a couple of days ago ...
Collapse
I'm currently looking through Lars' ratings system as well as some other materials graciously proffered by other members of the community.  I need to sort them all out now.  I expect this will take a day or two.

Malte Sussdorff is right on in thinking that there should be a user-tracking package.  Whether or not the e-commerce package has the beginnings of such a thing, I don't know.  The goal would be to have a table that recounts a user's experience on the site.  This way we could scan a user's visit chronologically and count certain "events."  Such as "Did the user navigate to a list of content and then go away?" and "Did the user navigate to a list of content and then access some content?"

This way we can see what is most useful and to whom.

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Sorry about the missing data model and documentation. A new version of lars-ratings is available from http://www.pinds.com/lars/whats-this-site-running.
Collapse
21: A few more Qs (response to 1)
OK, I'm getting into this now.  Lars' material is very helpful, as is the code Don sent me offline.  I haven't read Malte's paper yet, but it looks excellent.

I'm in productivity mode, spending a couple hours a day moving forward.  I have some design questions, though.

First, I have the notion of a Ratings Dimension, an example of which would be as follows:
name = Interest Level
min_value = 0
max_value = 5
description = Allows a user to register his or her interest in this item.
instructions = 0 for Low Interest 5 for High Interest

I think I want Ratings Dimensions mapped to contexts.  To illustrate I'd like the above example to be applicable to any object on the site, but another dimension, "Technical Merits", would apply only to objects of type "photo."  Another dimension, "Willingness to help", may apply to Forum respondents and FAQ maintainers.

This being said, should Ratings Dimension itself be a subtype of acs-object?  I'm trying to figure out how to assign it its id, and this kind of comes with subtyping object.  I don't know if there is any other subtype of acs-object that would be a better supertype for Ratings Dimension.  If I don't make it an acs-object, then how would I get unique ids?

There's also the Rating itself.  This describes the rating (in some dimension) a user assigned an object.  I'll also put date_rated in there.  Should this relation have it's own unique id?  I'm leaning towards it.  If it does, should it be a subtype of acs-object?  Would some other acs-object subtype serve as a better supertype?  If not, where is there a good example of unique id sequence generation in use outside of the acs-object model?

Here's another one, more spec-y than techie: should a Dimension owner (or admin) be allowed to change the max and min value?  This would screw up all the data retrieved thus far.  We could go over the old data and scale it up or down, but they're integers now and there'd be data bruising with the round up/down.  Maybe I'll make them NUMBERS for now so we can tackle this in the future.  It's a version 2 thing, I think.

Last, I've noticed that many packages that handle text blocks of any size allow the user to specify whether or not it is plain text or HTML.  Would this be of value in the "instructions" and "description" fields of my Rating Dimension?  These values would show up as the interface dictates.  For instance, a user looking at the ratings of a photo she uploaded could click to see the description of this rating dimension to better understand the thinking that went into the user's rating process.  I'm leaning toward html_p fields for "instructions" and "description" right now.

Collapse
Regarding the option of changing the ratings scale mid-stream, I
agree that you should hold off on this, and I'm not sure if it
should be implemented at all. It's a thorny problem.

On the subject of allowing HTML in the "instructions" and
"descriptions" fields, it would be nice to have if it's not too difficult
to implement, but this could also be a post-1.0 feature if
necessary.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
This being said, should Ratings Dimension itself be a subtype of acs-object?
Yes, it should.
There's also the Rating itself. This describes the rating (in some dimension) a user assigned an object. I'll also put date_rated in there. Should this relation have it's own unique id? I'm leaning towards it. If it does, should it be a subtype of acs-object? Would some other acs-object subtype serve as a better supertype?
Check out acs-kernel/sql/[PG/Oracle]/acs-relationships-create.sql

This allows for the definition of a relationship between two object types. You can define the number of objects allowed on either side of the relation.

Here's another one, more spec-y than techie: should a Dimension owner (or admin) be allowed to change the max and min value? This would screw up all the data retrieved thus far.
I think ignoring the problem for round one is OK. We need to allow admins to delete a dimensions and associated ratings, which will mostly be useful if you make a typo when defining it and notice before too many ratings accumulate.

Last, I've noticed that many packages that handle text blocks of any size allow the user to specify whether or not it is plain text or HTML. Would this be of value in the "instructions" and "description" fields of my Rating Dimension?
Yes, please do. Use the tag-closing proc used in places like glossary and bboard to guard against errors in entered HTML.

In fact at some point I want to add a "text-html" widget type to the form builder that will present a uniform widget style for text/HTML blocks (you'll notice slight differences in the definition of the drop-down select lists used in individual packages today).

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If object types were objects (an issue which has come up before) you could model your "scoping" of dimensions as an acs relationship as well.  The rating dimension would be one side of the relationship, the allowed object type the other side.
Collapse
Check out acs-kernel/sql/[PG/Oracle]/acs-relationships-create.sql
So it looks like a relationship is an entity. Whew. OK. Should I subtype acs-relationship with gr_ratings? If so I guess the relationship would be called rated with user on one side and some object on the other. date_rated and dimension_id wouldn't be part of that relationship. Problem is dimension_id will figure into most queries. Is this a problem?
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
When you create a relationship you are, in essence, extending the basic relationship.

That extension (just as with basic object types) takes the form of a table name and key column, included in the call to acs_rel_type.create_type().

So you'd define a table like this:

create table general_ratings (
    rating_id references acs_objects ...;
    dimension_id references dimensions ...;
    user_id references users ...
    hey_we_need_a_rating_value integer;
);
then the type gets defined something like ...
begin
  acs_rel_type.create_type (
     id_column => 'rating_id',
     table_name => 'general_ratings'
  );
end;
Of course create type needs more than that but as a sketch something along these lines would seem to fit the bill, no?
Collapse
27: Moving Along! (response to 1)
I wrote a bunch of SQL today.  It all executes, which is nice.  i haven't tested my functions yet, though.

I have two questions today.  The first concerns my relationships.  Essentially there is one relationship among three participants.  A 'rating' is what a 'user' assigns to an 'object' in a given 'dimension.'

To me it looks like one of those three participants winds up as an attribute, which doesn't feel right at all.  As of today, I have the relationship 'gr_rating' set up between 'user' and 'acs_object.'  I manually put the dimension_id in the 'gr_ratings' table after my call to acs_rel__new().  Is this quite good enough?

My other question is more down-to-earth.  I'd like to check that the rating passed in to the system is between the max_rating and min_rating for the given dimension.  Which is best: to use logic in a function or to create a rule in the db?  A check won't work in PostgreSQL - no sub queries in there.

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
actually a check constraint can call a function, so the simplest thing is to put your subselect in there.
Collapse
Thanks, Jonathan.  I really appreciate all the support I'm getting here.
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Dean, thanks a lot for the work you're doing. It's really great to have another hacker jumping in and building something critical like this.

Thanks.

talli

Collapse
Thank you for your kind words, Tali.  I’m really learning a lot in my work on this system.  It addresses so many issues I’ve faced in web development.  The system truly feels like the product of years of experience and many smart people.

I think this ratings package will be a success.  My only challenge is holding back.  I want to get something workable out the door so people can integrate it into their projects.  Then their feedback can guide futher development, not my conjecture!

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Dean, no problemo. If you want real-time help, swing by the #openacs channel on irc.openprojects.net. There are some wicked OACS and AOLserver hackers who tend to live in there like Dave Bauer, Vinod Kurup, Roberto Mello, Todd Gillespie and Mark Dalrymple.

They're all really helpful, although Vinod is... well Vinod's actually an MD in meatspace so he can't be trusted with anything that has to do with "life preserving and sustaining" advice. He's fun to laugh at, though. At, not with.

talli

PS

#openacs is great for all OACS hackers, newbies and veterans alike!!! it's a great place to learn about the system and to chat about more new applications! Come one come all!

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
At the risk of taking a useful thread way off topic...

They're all really helpful, although Vinod is... well Vinod's actually an MD in meatspace so he can't be trusted with anything that has to do with "life preserving and sustaining" advice. He's fun to laugh at, though. At, not with.

How many times do I have to tell you Talli... While you may consider "your problem" to be "life threatening", the medical establishment disagrees, so I'm going to have to insist that you pay for your Viagra like everyone else. 😊 😊 😊 😊

Collapse
It might make sense to aim to integrate this with the forthcoming
sloan-bboard as the first sample package, since everybody
seems somewhat dissatisfied with the current 4.x bboard:

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0004gD&topic_id=11&topic=OpenACS

The other logical place to do early integration would be with
search.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
sloan-bboard won't work with PostgreSQL at first, so I suspect it will be awhile before the majority of our folks switch to it.  It shouldn't be difficult to integrate "general ratings" with any particular package, so I don't think Dean would lose much by doing for the regular bboard first.

I also suspect it will take awhile for dotLRN to settle down, and folks might want to wait until it does before porting it.  Or at least they'll want to tackle those parts that *are* stable first.

Collapse
Don nailed it.  This thing should snap in just about anywhere you please.  I need to free up a few contiguous hours now to knock out a few hundred lines!
Collapse
Dean, FYI, Peter V from Ybos just posted a link to yet another
ratings package that you might want to comb through. You can
find the reference in this thread:

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0004o0&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

The direct link to the code is here:

http://developer.ybos.net/modules/stored_module-detail?module_id=2133

Note that (AFAICT) this module is for ArsDigita's (old) version of
ACS 4.x, which means it's Oracle-only, doesn't know about the
request processor, and is probably missing a bunch of other
stuff that has been added since AD abandoned ACS Tcl.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's about equivalent to Lars's simple ratings package, from my quick look at it.  Dean's after something a bit more ambitious.
Collapse
Posted by Brian Chapados on
I've been searching around for information about rating systems for OpenACS.  I'm experimenting with v 5.0.4 + AOLserver 4.0.1.

It's been a few years since the last post in this thread. Does anyone know if there has been any progress on a general-ratings system?  If not, are people using anything that is different from the packages mentioned in this thread (lars-ratings, ect..)

Thanks,

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I am doing a general ratings package now.  I should have something to commit to cvs next week.