Forum OpenACS Q&A: Group management problem

Collapse
Posted by Peter Alberer on

I have two questions:

When i try to add a member to a group i can choose between membership relation and user profile. What is the difference between the two ?

The real problem is this one: Unfortunately i can not find all of the registered persons in the dropdown box that is displayed on the "Add member to .." page. Not even in the "all persons" dropdown box are all of the registered users displayed. (In fact one person is missing)

I had a quick look at the query that creates that list and am still recovering from the headache :) Could there be a problem in that query or can someone think of other possible things that could lead to this situation ?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
You need to pick up a fresh version of OpenACS 4.5 from cvs.  The tag's "oacs-4-5".

I disabled the user profile group as it's broken in practice and probably principle.

I fixed the way the groups are constructed.  There was one error that affected both the Oracle and PG versions (and aD's original ACS 4.2) and another that affected the PG version only.

I'm planning on trying to push out the real release tarball by mid-May but in the interim just use the 4.5 branch of the CVS tree.

(bugs fixed in 4.5 will get merged into the development branch when I cut the final release tarball).

Collapse
Posted by Vince T on
If I update routinely from cvs to make sure my sources are up to spec, how would I update my database/datamodel if there are any changes to that. Would I have to drop my db everytime?

For example in your process above, I updated to the latest cvs version, but I still have the user profile group. Is there a common process to make db/datamodel changes without losing what I've already put in?

Collapse
Posted by Peter Alberer on

I also updated to the oacs-4-5 tag (at least i thought so), reinstalled the whole system (in a new db) and could nevertheless choose between the membership profile and the user profile. All the problems still existed in the new install as well.

The cvs command i used was "cvs update -r oacs-4-5" in a directory into that i had checked out openacs-4 via "cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout openacs-4"

Did i use the cvs commands correctly ?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The new 4.5 tarball won't create the user_profile relation on installation.

But if you've already installed, it won't delete it for you.  You should be able to delete this through the admin pages though I don't know exactly where off the top of my head ...