Okay, OpenForce is working on a new bboard package for dotLRN. We haven't begun the coding yet for this part. We have an aggressive schedule, but we'd like to share our immediate thoughts for rearchitecturing the system.
FunctionalityWe need at least similar functionality to what we had in v3 (sadly, some of it was lost in v4). This includes:
- bboard forums either Q&A or threaded (and certainly a simple architecture for other presentation styles)
- categorization of postings (optional system-wide, and optional per forum)
- ability to restrict posting of new questions
- ability to moderate
- ability to manage existing threads (mostly for deapproving/ deleting threads).
- emailing a post to a friend (nice new feature of v4)
- editing your posts... although this should be optional per forum, as this is a hotly contested feature since it changes the historical trail of a thread.
- incoming email submissions to bboard... another hotly contested feature, but certainly let's implement it as an optional thing.
- forums are objects scoped to packages
- bboard postings are *not* objects, they're *not* CR items, they're *not* versioned. Thus, they're not permissioned individually, nor should they be. Only forums are permissioned.
- use of sortkeys for message hierarchy I'll stop there and see what people think :) I'll post more details as we spec them out, but these are the major lines of development. Nothing revolutionary except for the lean, mean, underlying bboard engine machine.