Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to What does it take to get Postgresql database error detail in tracebacks?

Sorry, Simon, bad example on my part.  I should have said "query is a command which does not return rows", generally meaning an error occurred.  I believe a fundamental of any good development platform is that when an error occurs useful information is displayed in the most effective way possible to facilitate debugging.  I'm not asking for more debugging information, since that's what threw me off in the first place.  What I find incredibly frustrating is that the traceback, which is incredibly detailed in its own right, at the very top, where the information would be most useful, simply gives a generic error message and one is left to grovel through logs to find it.  Romping through log files is perhaps my 2nd or 3rd choice when I'm working on a really nasty or subtle problem.

I like OpenACS, but this shortcoming would probably keep some people away.  Of course, anybody who continues to read these rants can tell I'm now on a mission.