Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #141: Implement true global package parameters

Dave,
I've always wondered why file-storage didn't get the maxfilesize value from config.tcl for consistency since it is bound by that value anyway.
Collapse
Posted by Nathan Lunt on
In that case, I'd rather see config.tcl have some outrageously value and let file-storage reign it in.  This way admins aren't confused as to why uploads are failing even after they've updated the parameter. (A bit off-topic, but still.)

Don, that global parameters feature would be a god-send for those of us that have many instances of some packages.  The way I pictured your implementation is that each package would see an uneditable value for global parameters, but that makes me wonder how you would handle any package-specific overrides.  Then, if you have admins overriding global parameters on a per package basis, they've defeated the whole point, right?

I guess what I would suggest is the admins should be able to override the values per package, but they need to see an explanation of why it's not a good habit to get into.  Additionally, it might be a good idea to have a list of packages that have overridden values on the page they set global values.