Forum .LRN Q&A: relationship with OKI and Dspace

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Does anyone knwo about the relationship of dotLRN with the other MIT
projects: OKI, DSpace and ICampus?

I just read about them in the dotlrn page, are they planning to use
OACS? Is there any integration at the implementation level?

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on

It looks like everyone working on dotLRN is really busy at the moment (can't imagine why). 😉

The dotLRN website has changed, but a couple of days ago there was a nice little diagram that pointed out that dotLRN version 3 will be OKI compliant (v.1=SloanSpace, v.2=OpenACS rewrite a.k.a dotLRN).

I have not heard anything about DSpace or ICampus.

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
You will be hearing more about linkages with OKI, DSpace, and ICampus in the coming weeks. Bear with us.
Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hmm.. I've been wondering if and when dotLRN will serve aspects of MIT's open courseware[1], too. I know it's an online publication separate from MIT courses, and so will not be as interactive as the other services, but I understand from the OCW FAQ that MIT is exploring scalable services for it[2] -- dotLRN OKI compliant content management perhaps.

1 http://ocw.mit.edu
2 http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Global/AboutOCW/faq.htm#FAQ12

It's a great time for the knowledge hungry minds that are web enabled!

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Torben, The intent of MIT's OpenCourseWare Project (OCW) is to make available all MIT course materials for free over the web. By October 2003 there should be 250-400 courses available. There are several course management systems in use at MIT, including .LRN / SloanSpace. Course materials flow from the course management system to the OCW repository, which happens to be Microsoft's Content Management Server.

The OCW Content Management System is used to publish the course material to the OCW public web site. There is now a project underway to push the archival course material into DSpace (open source based on J2EE and Postgres).

I have created a mini-diagram.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
That diagram represents a thousand words..  Thank you, Al, for the explanation.
Collapse
Posted by David Arroyo Menéndez on
Torben, do you refer to integrate the open courseware content into dotlrn like a package or similar? It seems a good idea 😊
Collapse
Posted by tanvi sane on
Excellent post! I got valuable information here. Thank you!