Ecommerce 4.5b is a major upgrade of the prior version (4.2a). The new version:
- Is more stable, having fixed many bugs and logged tons of testing.
- Includes up-to date documentation.
- Accepts various credit card gateways instead of the obsolete CyberCash. The new Payment Sercice Contract allows Ecommerce to interface to any credit card gateway. Current implementations are available for Authorize.net and PayflowPro.
- Accepts various shipping rules in addition to the ecommerce shipping rules. The default shipping rules of Ecommerce can be super-ceded by implementations of the new Shipping Service Contract. Value-based Shipping is the first implementation of the shipping service contract. This implementation calculates the shipping charges based on the total value of the shipment and the destination.
- Handles goods that don't require shipping more gracefully. Rather than denying shipments all together the Ecommerce version allows hard goods to be shipped. Soft goods are authorized and processed at the time of order. This enables Ecommerce to safely sell goods that don't require shipping such as license keys, downloadable software, on-line courses etc.
- Collects both the shipping address and the billing address.
See the documentation of the ecommerce package for more information.
The new Ecommerce version is available from the HEAD of the OpenACS CVS.