Forum OpenACS Development: web 2.0 hype

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
I have been following the hype for quite some time now. I have tried out all the so called revolutionary new features, and realy like many of them but...

Most of the features in OACS are web 2.0., with the added benefit of much more under the hood customisation options (essential once you start using this in a corporate environment). Would it be an idea to create an OACS web 2.0 edition, concentrating on basic, task & user oriented functionality?

One USP could be.... 1 log-in, all web 2.0 tricks of the trade... it would need some repackaging, but with Gustaf's new wiki concept I guess we're well on our way in the right direction.
Just a thought

Ben

Collapse
2: Re: web 2.0 hype (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Well, I personally haven't been following the "Web 2.0" hype at all. Can you fill us in, or point to a good summary?
Collapse
3: Re: web 2.0 hype (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Here you go http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html

The point I am trying to make is that all sorts of so called new tools are marketed, that from a functionality point of view are nothing more than basic functionality OACS has already build in and turned into a proper framework for corporate use. Maybe it's time for a revisit to the days of "remind me, Logacious, and Wimpypoint" as stand alone hosted services, Philip used to interest newbies into the core framework. History repeats 😉.

A short recap (page 5 of the article)
"Some of the principal features of Web 2.0. Each of the examples we've explored demonstrates one or more of those key principles, but may miss others. Let's close, therefore, by summarizing what we believe to be the core competencies of Web 2.0 companies:"

* Services, not packaged software, with cost-effective scalability
* Control over unique, hard-to-recreate data sources that get richer as more people use them
* Trusting users as co-developers
* Harnessing collective intelligence
* Leveraging the long tail through customer self-service
* Software above the level of a single device
* Lightweight user interfaces, development models, AND business models

Cheers
Ben

Collapse
4: Re: web 2.0 hype (response to 1)
Posted by Nis Jørgensen on
Here is a more commuity-based definition of Web 2.0: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/11/web_two_point_naught_answers/