Forum OpenACS Development: Upgrade of major version from repository is not supported (yet)

The friendly repository installer can't upgrade a major version of OpenACS yet. That is, if you haev OpenACS 5.1.x you can't upgrade from the repository to 5.2.x

1) The repository has no user interface to specify the repository "channel" to use when checking for packages.

2) If you manually change the repository, an issue comes up with installing acs-kernel, it appears that acs-kenerl needs to be installed first by itself. I did not notice this when upgrading from the acs-admin/apm/ installer.

3) Even if you could specify the channel to use, there is no way to support a non-release channel in the current repository builder. I setup a one-off oacs-5-2-test channel which works right off the oacs-5-2 branch instead of from a openacs-5-2-compat tag (which isn't created until after release currently).

4) files not under /packages/ can't be upgraded with the repository installer. From 5.1 to 5.2 blank-master.tcl/adp was changed to support different rich text editors so out fo the box, even if you could upgrade from the repository, some files won't be upgraded.

Any ideas? Should we support this upgrade path?

5) It is not even possible to use /acs-admin/install as it bombs with an unrecognized maturity level, so you need to upgrade acs-admin and acs-kernel from using the APM manually before you can use the nice Install interface.

In general we need to support this upgrade path, the question is only of "how". And I have no clue, especially not dealing with 4).

A wise thing could be to offer an "Upgrade ACS Core" functionality in acs-admin/install. This would create a db backup, download all acs-core packages, reload all files and run the upgrade all in one go. Once done it would change the repository and restart. This should tackle 1), 2). As for 3) I think we should only offer releases using the Repository.