Forum OpenACS Q&A: 503 service unavailable ... too much connection?

Hello,

Recently, one of our site is not reachable sometimes. The pound will return "503 service unavailable", but the process is there and can return normal page 1-2 seconds later.

I think it is related to high usage of the site. The connection number between AOLserver and pound may exeeded the maximum connection acceptable. What can I do to tune AOLserver or pound?

Thanks a lot

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Pounds sets this message, when it is not able to open a connection to a backend server, or when it does not receive an answer from a backend server within a time range (you have
to configure this in pound configuration). I would think,
you have the first kind of problem.

You might run out of connection threads on the aolserver side, or you might run out of resources in pound. (We had some time ago the problem that we cound not serve more than 500 concurrent file deliveries). How many pound threads do you have concurrently running?
We use this under linux: /bin/ps axcH| fgrep pound | wc -l

Do you serve multiple webservers/aolservers with pound?
How man connectionthreads have you configured on aolserver?
What kind of usage patter do you have (sql-intense queries, many small file deliveries, large file deliveries)?

Collapse
Posted by Koala Yeung on
Yes. I server multiple aolservers with pound. I've increased the maxconnections and maxthreads and seems things are better now.

Thanks a lot.