Forum OpenACS Development: Re: 5.2: survey-library requires survey 5.1.4d2, survey is 5.0.1

>I am imagining that both survey packages will be eventually phased on in favor of a series of packages that will all depend on the assessment package but provide different interfaces.

The existing survey packages are far more sound a base then assessemnt as far as datamodel, basic APIs, and code. The assessment presents the vision of the features we really want. Perhaps the best approach is to evolve the existing survey as a base and add the assessment features.

I've had to run projects with assessement package because it was forces upon me as a requirement. I made a prototype of evolving assessment into embeddable forms so you can actually do what we really want it to do for user registration (that is, take a standard form and allow the user to extend it with custom fields via an admin UI instead of redirecting the user to a assessment module and you have to put all the core registration code in an assessement trigger). After all this, if someone asked me to do a project based on assessment, I'd absolutely refuse. (and have :)

I keep on hearing that "assessment is our evolution" and that we have to go with this. Again, it's just not there yet. Invest your time in polishing the dyanamic data types for the content repository.

As a way to give online test perhaps (though there are scalability problems as you add many questions - it does 4 queries per question). But to evolve it into our web-base form builder/report tool, it would need serious work.