I am excited to see so many
posts about how to improve openacs.org. I’ve been thinking about
what to do first. I thought back to various classes and trainings I
have been on things from process engineering to remediation to management...
Step 1: Measure what you want to change.
So one question I have for
everyone is what do you most want to change? What I gather is that people
most want things to work and second, if its likely not to work to people
want to know that easily.
We recently did a project with
XOWiki which has the ability to use includes. It seems to me we already
have a bunch of data about packages and we could use XOWiki and includes
to pull some of that out onto a wiki page. Then use the wiki features
to let everyone supplement the information.
Here is a starting idea for
a wiki page per package.
Wiki Page Per Package
- INCLUDE: Bug Tracker Summary
- Open Bugs
- Last bug Entered
- Last bug fixed
- Top bug entering user
- Top bug fixing user
- INCLUDE: Dependency Summary (all packages are hyperlinked)
- Package Dependencies
- Packages that depend on this package
- INCLUDE: CVS Summary
- Total Files
- Last File updated, last updating user
- Number of files different between the current release tag and HEAD
- Most CVS updates by user
- Freeform in the wiki, put in headers for each of these and people will fill them in as they can.
- Maturity Level
- Checklist of how the package is doing on each maturity level criterion
- Sites and how they have used it. Each site should be its own page with back links back to all the packages. We should be able to do this with “Pages that link to this page”
- People/Companies who can answer questions about this package. Shall we let companies also have their own pages in the wiki?
- Known Issues
- Future Plans
- Links to useful forum threads, blog posts etc.
Comments and suggestions?
To implement this the following
steps need to be done.
- Upgrade openacs.org to 5.2
- Install XOWiki and be sure its working properly
- Layout the page attractively and intelligently
- Write the 3 includes
- Create an index page and a page per package automagically so that all the pages interlink properly and the includes and the headers for free form are all put in.
Do we have volunteers for
any of these tasks?