Forum OpenACS Development: error.log gets stuck

Collapse
Posted by Iuri Sampaio on
Hi there,

I installed openacs, fresh install, and started to create a TCL page. Once I opened the page through the browser it threw a random TCL error such as

bad option "end": must be bytelength, compare, equal, first, index, is, last, length, map, match, range, repeat, replace, tolower, toupper, totitle, trim, trimleft, trimright, wordend, or wordstart
while executing
"string end $temp "Ren" 20"
("foreach" body line 7)

which is also logged at error.log

Then, i fixed the error, saved the page, went to the browser and refresh. However the system got stuck at the error message.

At first I thought it would be the cache of the browser (i.e. chrome). I cleaned everything and I also switched to another browser (i.e. firefox). but the error still remained.

Then I thought it would be a problem with error.log. I broke the pipe and opened another one (i.e. tail -f /var/log/aolserver/openacs/error.log). But the error still remained.

I also tried to restart aolserver but it didn't work either.

The error only disappear if i reboot the machine.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Collapse
2: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 1)
The environment is

OpenACS is installed on a vmbox under debian 6, PostgreSQL 8.4 and AOLSserver 4.

I browser the system on a windows machine within the same intranet.

Collapse
3: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Iuri,

I don't understand the circumstances.

Are you saying that error.log does not update with new messages?

If so, is aolserver "spinning" ie taking near 100% cpu process? Is another process spinning?

Is this error condition only after visiting your new TCL page on a rebooted system?

Have you tried inserting ns_log messages in the TCL page to help determine where in the page that the problem begins?

Is the error information you posted the error that is still posted to the log on reboot?

What is the first error in the log after reboot?

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
4: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 3)
Are you saying that error.log does not update with new messages?

error.log updates with new messages only if i visit other pages.

If so, is aolserver "spinning" ie taking near 100% cpu process? Is another process spinning?

No. It isn't.

Is this error condition only after visiting your new TCL page on a rebooted system?

Yes.

Have you tried inserting ns_log messages in the TCL page to help determine where in the page that the problem begins?

Yes. I tried. I tried even to delete the whole chunk of code that contains the error. but it doesn't work.

Is the error information you posted the error that is still posted to the log on reboot?

No. it doesn't repeat. only if i write the bad chunk back to the TCL file. it just freezes there and after reboot is gone.

What is the first error in the log after reboot?

There are no errors after reboot. Only if i write whatever bad chunk of code again, the error is showed on error.log and gets stuck whatever i do in that specific page

Best wishes,

Collapse
5: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Iuri,

Try adding something like "?a=b" after the url, to confirm that the page is reprocessing and not just serving a cached version.

Is the error different, when you fix the code, or does the same error show up?

Does the server.log file show that the error page is being requested and served?

What is the size of the page served?

/Torben

Collapse
6: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hi Does the tcl page return anything?

ie: does it call ns_return or have an adp script to display some output?

Collapse
7: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 6)
It doesn't have ns_return. Although I did created the associated .adp file as well.

I never faced such an issue like that whether having only the .tcl or both .tcl and .adp files.

Would that be a problem to reload it?

Collapse
8: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 7)
Anyway,
I tried with and without whether .adp fike or ns_return call.
None of them worked.
Collapse
9: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 8)
Problem Unsolved.

I re installed the server on VM running Ubuntu and the issue persists.

Windows 7 > Oracle VMBox > Ubuntu
> Oracle VMBox > Debian

Furthermore I tested the options bellow. Those worked just fine.

Windows XP > Oracle VMBox > Ubuntu
> Oracle VMBox > Debian

Ubuntu > Oracle VMBox > Ubuntu
> Oracle VMBox > Debian

The bottom line is, windows 7 has the issue and I couldn't figure out what it was.

Best wishes,

Collapse
10: Re: error.log gets stuck (response to 9)
Problem Solved!

Nothing related to windows 7.
The issue was the cache memory of the proxy server.

Internal address shouldn't use proxy.
I needed to add the IP address specifically. Because the checkbok in the chrome wizard contemplates local addresses only as 127.0.0.1.