Forum OpenACS Q&A: Aolserver issue?

Collapse
Posted by Mauricio Ramírez on
Hello, we are having a problem with aolserver4.
After migrate from dotlrn 2.4 to 2.5, the service was working fine; but yesterday something really weird started to happend.
Network conections are fine, aolserver is alive, but the services just stop and we can't access the website.
There is no changes on aolserver configuration file, or dotlrn config file... and there is no failure logs. ("pings" to both IP's are answering,too)
Today, the services don't want to take the 80 port and this is a critical services for the university, we realice that after made a change un acs-subsite (changes like delete white spaces which always be there) the system at least try to be up.
Can anyone help me? or refers me to someone who had a problem like this?
Collapse
2: Re: Aolserver issue? (response to 1)
Posted by Jeff Rogers on
I don't understand what you mean by "the services don't want to take the 80 port" - when you restart the server the error log should say something like "listening on 0.0.0.0:80" very near the end of startup. Is that line missing, or is the address printed not correct? It's possible that the new config file (config.tcl) specified something different for the listening address (look under the section ns/server/${server}/modules/nssock for an address parameter)

When you try to connect to port 80, does it connect and wait for input (expected) or do you get "connection refused"?

Collapse
3: Re: Aolserver issue? (response to 1)
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
If the server won't take 80, there are a number of things to check:

1. are you starting the server as root, either by using sudo or by starting as root user? Only root can use ports numbered under 1024 .

2. are you sure that all pieces of the old AOLserver are completely dead? Under Linux, run "ps auwx | grep nsd" and be sure that the old nsd has actually exited. You may need to use "kill -9 PID" where PID is the process ID of the old nsd , to be sure it is dead and gone.