Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Re: Drop Oracle support

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Heidelberg is moving to Postgres.

MIT Sloan is in minimal maintenance mode as far as I can tell and I _seriously_ doubt we will see any investment going into migration to Postgres.

UNED is a BIG installation that just recently upgraded from ACES to .LRN and they are using Oracle (I am sure some of you noticed Emmanuelle's contributions over the past few months). Anyone from UNED have something to add here?

Are we talking about core support for Oracle or are we talking package support?

Can't we just dichotomize the new QA tags for Oracle/Postgres and label packages so they reflect reality for Oracle and be done with it? This way if someone wants to, they can go back and work towards moving the lagging behemoth forward (people are much more likely to help laggards than they are to help those that have been expelled).

We have a lot of dark matter (invisible but interesting sites/institutions) using Oracle with various versions/branches of OpenACS. If this is about core and there is a relatively clear path to simplified Oracle support (e.g. slight increase in DB abstraction), I am sure it would not be hard to get funding for it (assuming there is someone willing to do it). The .LRN Consortium could serve as a place to combine funds to make this possible (again, assuming there is someone willing to do it and a champion willing to put time into oversight).

Carl

P.S. They say that 90% of the universe is made up of dark matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter