Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS Keepalive how to do it for windows based installation

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, as server was not responding (I thought so! ) because project-open web page was not accessible, we manually tried to stop the service on 26th March. And as it was taking too much time to stop we just rebooted the machine.

Next time it happens, i will do telnet and see. We have observed the issue on 24 March, and after that on 13th April. So we have to wait for few weeks for it to reappear, most probable dates are either 28-29 April or 5-6 May.

I will update my observation and let you know what actually happened.

I tried to search for "how to kill the AOL-server in Win XP"
could not get satisfactory answers. Below is what i got :

1) Go to task manager -> select "nsd.exe" and end process tree

2) Use command "netstat -ano" , get PID for 8000 port, which is actual project open port and give command "taskkill /f /PID 5072

For both the methods when i see in services its showing -> AOLserver-projop "starting" but its not doing anything, again i have to stop it manually. But if i stop it immediately it gets stopped and i can restart it again.

I am new to this, and i really appreciate if you can confirm which way to be used to kill the server or i m doing totally wrong way.

Thanks,
Sujata

For a forced kill, either of those methods should be fine. This is obviously in the situation where the normal shutdown isn't responding. You should be keeping an eye on the error logs for the "Notice: nsmain: AOLserver/4.5.1 stopping" message. Sometimes it can just take a long time to stop.

There was a lengthy discussion recently on the AOLserver mailing list about these occasional problems with Windows versions of AOLserver shutting down. I'm not sure what the final resolution was. You can see some of the threads here. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.aolserver/16523

Brian