I would like to make a Top 20 list of what you should do or dont while developing in OpenACS. Its goals are:
- Help new and old developers about standards in a short doc.
- Help developers read the real docs since the list will link to the real docs if possible.
- Hopefully start a new chapter or new doc if one items is missing from the real docs we have.
- Hopefully I make a good contribution with least effort.
- The list will set a good guidline for future developments. And maybe the older code will change in time.
- Use Namespace (ex. foo::get_title, etc.) blah blah.
- Use return_url as the var name if it will be used to return url... blah blah.
- Avoid putting in tcl logic on adp pages if possible. Use foo.tcl and foo.adp. The same way is true for tcl... avoid putting in html on tcl.
- Use package_key__foo or package_key.foo for db api. Use package_key::foo for tcl api.
- Use ad_form... blah blah.
It all started with this thread. I am sure there are other older threads that should have made it into the doc.
To make things simple we will first just have the first 5, after it has been establish we will get the next 5 and so on.
Here is the first five that will make it into the list if nobody objects: (I will add more detail on the real doc)
If all 5 items are valid and correct I will put them in. Also if anyone can put a good 1 - 2 liner write up on any items above please post them up. A link to the documentation is also desired. I am more that happy to use them rather than come up with my own.