Forum OpenACS Development: RFC: create reviews package, upgrade general-comments with ratings, or?

Reviews are a significant part of ecommerce, movies, and bookshelf packages, and have been discussed for use in other applications.

I'm looking for some way to generalize a reviews coding process that would be a good substitute for the one in ecommerce, and hopefully use some of the newer coding techniques.

Is there a way to use ratings with general-comments to mimick an ecommerce style reviews application?

If not, does it make sense to create a reviews package by extracting the code from ecommerce and making it package aware etc (so other applications can use it)?

Your comments/guidance is much appreciated,
 Torben

Hi Torben,

We have been using dynamic types to create databases of various things that are ranked and commented on. Dave Bauer is on vacation this week and he is SG's expert on this.

Unfortunately none of the sites we have done this on are fully skinned and polished and ready to go.

It looks a lot like the LAMS community activity database:

http://lamscommunity.org/lamscentral/

We started with this code but moved it to dynamic types. I think the ratings and general comments pieces are still pretty similar.

We have also done ajax rating where you can drag the stars with your mouse, but I don't have that up on a site I can show publically. Hamilton can give you the code if you want it.

Thanks, Caroline.

Dynamic types/AMS/CR looks really useful for standardizing the ec_custom_product_fields and some other "back office" processes.

Yet, I want to avoid those in publicly accessible areas to keep the shopping basket (and features directly connected with it) very scalable ..especially since the code already works in ecommerce, and any revision has to test well against the existing one.