Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: SOA? - Generic XML-RPC Bridge to Database API

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Well, this is shaping up to be a classic OpenACS scenario.

Several people talking about committing packages to do similar things, thereby complicating our code base and giving future package implementors arguably too much choice.

Is there any reason why we shouldn't work towards one solution to be included in the actual OpenACS source tree?

I love having people jumping up and offering their code to the public, that's great, of course, but how many ways to dot one's "i"s and cross one's "t"s should we implement in the toolkit?

We have our stuff working for months at our production site, will be good if other take a look a see if they wanna use it. We'll happy to support and use an official tool.
Anyway, ours is relatively simple and focused on just passing the queries to the other side and get results back!!!
I can only second Don here. Could Rocael and Frank please exchange the code and figure out a best of breed merge, which will than make it into OpenACS proper, maybe having a discussion first how their approach is different.

It is really great to hear, but I know that there is yet another organization supposedly working on this and now we have a TCL standard for it as well.

Last but not least, we will have to integrate part of our TCL functions and database tables in project manager as webservices into a mobile framework. So we would probably end up using both Rocaels as well as Franks approach. Though, before anyone get's their hopes up that we will do it, nothing is confirmed and development would not start before 2007.

I think what we should do is have the core team look at the implementations and decide which to include as the standard for OpenACS.

We're planning on making it this easy to export a Tcl proc to SOAP:

ad_proc -public -soap mynamespace::myproc {
set foo bar
}

We have the server side completed and are testing it now, and most of the infrastructure for the client side as well.

Jade

May I wish that the OCT takes a look at the *features* and says which it likes best and then hopefully between the three of you, you could mould it into one nice and neat package, that suits all your needs?
Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Does anyone know the current state of affairs with XML-RPC support in OpenACS? I have a job which may require XML-RPC support so it would be good to know if all of the solutions mentioned here are still supported before I quote for it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
Brian