Forum OpenACS Q&A: Bookmarks - revised for postgresql

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I *believe* I have a working version of bookmarks with postgresql for 4.6. I believe all the following bugs are squashed:
  • Not able to delete bookmarks
  • Not able to relocate bookmarks
  • Bookmarks package only partially subsite aware and unhappy being mounted twice in a subsite.
I touched a LOT of -postgresql.xql and .tcl files, but all within the bookmarks package. It may take me a day or two to face generating all those patches. If you need it NOW NOW NOW, drop me a line and i'll send you a .tgz of the whole /bookmarks package. I didn't touch the data model, although I did tweak one function to use a function that existed. Upgrades should be nearly-painless even if you already have bookmarks.

I don't THINK I broke anything in the Oracle version in the process. (*Fingers crossed.*)

If anyone would be willing to help me take my hacked bookmarks package for a spin, I've got 3 instances mounted at bookmarks.acornhosting.net. Error reports would be appreciated. :)

Note: multiple bookmarks instances don't interact at all, and there is currently no way to move a bookmark or folder from one instance to another. If you create a bookmark or folder in one instance, you won't be able to see it in another.

Note #2: I'm joining on acs-objects more than 4.5 release did to deal with subsites. I don't know yet how bad of a performance hit I've caused in the process.

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
Thanks to Mark D and Caroline M for pointing these out:
  • Delete-dead-links is broken. Looks like an unported query.
  • Mark D suggests a cancel button on the confirmation page for deleting a link. That's easy. :)
  • The Javascript version isn't showing any bookmarks. Any JS gurus want to take a look? The making a bookmark to add bookmarks works great (and that's frankly the only JS feature *I* will use), but it doesn't display the bookmarks in the JS popup window like it should.
  • Sorting lists of links by name doesn't seem to work. On my list.
  • It is currently possible to move a folder into itself and other nonsense. Will fix.
Thanks to folks who've tried it out so far. :)
Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Hi Cathy,

I have a couple of bugs and/or feature requests to report.

1) You should be able to make a bookmark private when you add it, you should not have to edit it to make it private.

2) I don't think we want to reveal our email addresses to unregistered users. As of now they can view public bookmarks, click "details" and see it.

3) The index page should be templated, IMHO. It's hard to tell if this is fixed or not on your version since there is no visible template 😊

Thanks for making this useful package even more so!

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
Nice work!
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Cathy, awesome work! Sorry that I wasn't of any help... I'm *really* glad someone picked up the poor Bookmarks package and put it back in a decent shape.

Concerning committing your changes - do you have commit rights now? Do you really need to create patches? Why don't you just commit all this great stuff? I'm pretty sure no one else has created conflicting changes in the meantime.

/Peter

Collapse
Posted by Kjell Wooding on

Hi Cathy. I noticed this when I dropped your package on top of a (virginal) OpenACS snapshot:

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not     
a statement returning rows.")     
    while executing     
"ns_pg_bind 0or1row nsdb0 {     

select bookmark__initialize_in_closed_p (2581, 2581);     

}"     

Some digging turned up this:

select bookmark__initialize_in_closed_p (2581, 2581);    
NOTICE:  identifier "bookmark__initialize_in_closed_p" will be    
truncated to "bookmark__initialize_in_closed_"    
ERROR:  Function 'bookmark__initialize_in_closed_(int4, int4)' does    
not exist    
        Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given    
argument types    
        You may need to add explicit typecasts    

I haven't dug into it any more than this (no diff yet, sorry ;), but I though you might want to test the virginal, uninitialized case...

Collapse
Posted by edwin ho on
Kjell,

could I get a copy of your version of the bookmarks module?

thanks
edwin

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Cathy,
do you know if all of your fixes have been committed yet? Are they both on the head and 4.6 branch? I'm tired of my bookmarks being broken, I'd like to upgrade...

Thanks!

/Peter