Forum OpenACS Q&A: Acceptance Testing: An IRC Idea

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
One of the things that happens during Acceptance Testing is that we get a lot of volunteers who are less technically oriented, and perhaps less able to contibute to actual development.

This is good because its a fantastic way for people to make really significant contributions, regardless of expertise.

But the problem arises in that its not unrealistic to expect these volunteers to need some advice/assistance during testing. Someting more immediate than email.

So.....

Testing IRC Forum
What about setting up an IRC forum, specifically for the duration of acceptance testing.
This forum could be a place where testers can quickly ask questions to keep the testing moving.. i.e. 'How do I do X' or 'What is Y for?'

For this to work we need to make sure there are people in the room who can answer, so what I;d like to propose is...

Could we get the more experienced/senior developers in here to, for the period of testing (about 2ish weeks) to agree to some kind of rota for attendance?

i.e. If I could get some volunteers to agree to be in the room on certain days/times in advance (just keep you window open to one side) then that would be a great help!

Thoughts anyone?

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
What about designating a thread in the OpenACS 4.0 Testing Q&A forum?

People who want to monitor it would set their alerts accordingly. The thread remains in the system so those writing documentation can harvest the questions (and their answers) for improving the documentation.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Silly question maybe,

Can anybody create a clear description it when I discovred a link on a Bboard posting, but got stuck half way the process. Maybe this is also an item that could be displayed promintly on the new OpenACS site.
Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi

I just notice a part of my question disappeared. I am talking about a cheatsheat to openaCS IRC chanel
Tbanks

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Yeah, Thats what the entire Testing forum is for.... but experience has shown me its not sufficient.

If you'rre testing cos you have a few free hours, you post to the bboard and no one answers.. how does that help?

For the period of the testing (which is only two weeks) I just wanted to try and get a rota of experts to ensure there will be at least on on hand, direct each time.

If people can commit in advance then even if I can't cover all times, I could put up a list saying 'Expert X will be there from 10 till 14:00 on Date Y'

This would allow testers to tme thier work to when its most convenient.

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Simon, maybe variations on commitments could be included with your noble efforts, to maximize resources. I suspect there are experts who only want to answer relating to a specific set of packages or sub-systems --with no commitment to a specific time, just commitment to contribute a few minutes of attention  (to posting answers) each day? just a thought...