Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to dev.openacs.org - please test/review

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Dave, then I believe the only solution is to either use a separate table for each post, or to not use any tables at all. AFAIK there is no way to prevent wide posts from messing up the rest of the page, if all the posts are within one large table.

Why the heck does anyone want to format BBoard posts inside an HTML table anyway? I mean, if the post has really wide content, then I want the important date and links at the top to also be shoved all the way over to the right where I can't see our use them without scrolling sideways? No way, that sucks.

If you really want the pretty table background colors, then wrapping the body of each post in its own table, but leaving the header and links for each post out, or in their own separate table immediately above, would fix the UI while still preserving pretty colors. I suspect simply leaving the title and links out of the table would look better than putting them in their own table.

But frankly, having the new BBoard be at least as easy to use and read as the old BBoard is much more important to me than pretty colors... I don't see any compelling advantage of using HTML tables with pretty colors at all, vs. the traditional "separate each post with an <hr>" look of the BBoard.